The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
Kiss My SS

Tell Me about body lifts

I am interested in putting a body and suspension lift on my 72 Jimmy. I know all the ins and outs of suspension lifts but I know very little about body lifts. What I am curious about is, Does the body lift replace the original body mount donuts? Or do they stack on top of the body mount donuts? The reason I am asking is that my body mounts are shot and I figured that if I got a 2 in body lift, it would give me a little bit more clearance but would also improve the ride quality. Right now the body bumps the frame at the back due to completely rotted body mount donuts. If the body lift doesn't replace the donuts, then I will just go back with factory mounts. I found a place where I could get a 4in suspension lift and a 2in body lift for around $400. That would be plenty of clearance for some 35's or 37's I would think. Any help would be appreciated.
1996 Ford Explorer XLT -Wife's rig
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
Slick71

All the body lifts that I've installed do not replace the stock mounts, they are simply installed above the stock mount donut and the body. You may even want to consider looking into polyurethane body mounts to get a better ride.
Slick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:51 AM   #3
whitdog72

i had a 4inch body lift on my 96, and currently have a 3 on my 91, the 96 i put it on cause it was a gift, and the 91 was on it when i bought it.......i honestly dont prefer them now from having them, if i even do one again it wont be bigger then 2 inches, both trucks the lift punched a hole in the bottom of the cab, had to lift the cab and patch in a plate, a smaller lift isnt that bad the higher u go the more body roll u get out of it and the higher you go the more kinda rougher it feels, atleast from my experiances. but there a good cheap way for tire clearance!

AIM: whitdog72, FORDSSUC
whitdog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:13 AM   #4
Richard

Slick 71 answered your question, the blocks go inbetween the rubber and body. I dislike body lifts just for the reason mentioned by whitdog72. The body lift I had installed on my previous 72 destroyed the core support and damaged the body mounts. I also know of several other vehicles I used to wheel with and the blocks actually came through the floor board. The blocks twist and pry against the metal where the rubber used to contact with increased leverage causing the damage. I was going to cut the blocks down and use a heavy rubber piece inbetween them and the body after the repair but just installed higher springs instead. I would imagine the combo of a body lift and poly mounts would increase the probability of damage due to the limited flexibility.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
6869704X4

You want ride quality? Get a caddilac. hehe
Sound like you would be happier with rubber replacement bushings. The poly doesn't isolate very well.
I have poly bushings and two inch blocks. Im very happy with them. The truck feels more solid to me too. I dont notice any body roll with them. But I'm a pretty conservative driver on the street.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:47 AM   #6
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

your jimmy/blazer will have the same wheel clearance as my 67 shrtbd ,,and i ran 35" boggers with 2" suspension and a 2" body and cleared them fine,,never rubbed,,if i were you i would go with a 4" suspension and just by new body bushings,,the suspension lift will give you plenty to run youre 35's
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote