The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
jwart

link to tach install ?

anyone got the link to jc whitney tach install in 60-66 dash. got it at home but not there for a week, i never seem to get far in FAQ index thanks jw

Last edited by jwart; 05-26-2008 at 09:23 PM.
jwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Woogeroo

Talking Re: link to tach install

http://matraca.home.mindspring.com/i.../05122007.html <- a few pictures of the inside of the cluster... they may or may not help.

http://www.earlyclassic.com

if the site loads up for you(it wasn't for me earlier)... in their technical article section they have a wonderful step by step guide on how the cluster comes out and all of that. They have it for installing their reproduction tach that they make. It covers everything.

From memory, I think it goes like this....

the screws around the cluster must come out.

the speedo cable has to unscrew.

un hook the wire to the ignition switch and cig lighter... unscrew those out of the dash. They both have rings around them that unscrew... on the dash side.

Un plug the headlight and wiper switch... unscrew those... to get the head light switch out, you pull the switch to the light on position - then under the dash on the switch itself there is a push button.. you push and hold that in, then pull out the headlight knob.

The wiper switch has a small screw on the side you loosen a bit and it slide right off.

I think they also then have those rings that must unscrew... if you have to use a tool to grab them, put a shop rag or some thing rubber on it to protect the finish.

I would advise that you put something like a old blanket or some kind of cover on top of your steering column, it take a little manuvering to wiggle the cluster out.

also, the dash light bulbs, the blinker bulbs, bright light on bulbs - all those have to pop out... take some tape and label each one as you take them out.

Oh yeah, uhm... the wires to the gauges un snap/slide off... and the oil pressure gauge unscrews... I think that requires a small wrench.

Hmn... I think that is everything... if not, someone else jump in please!

Just be gentle and get a good flashlight...

Good luck!

-W

Last edited by Woogeroo; 05-27-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
jwart

Re: link to tach install

thanks W. i question on the jc whitney $30 tach i already have-how do you get chrome face off to remove glass cover. have had to grind outside of chrome ring off to replace glass & repaint tach & speedo faces. silicone back together. is this the same or not maybe pry job required. thanks again
jw
www.art4urhog.com
jwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Here's the link . http://www.persh.org/pickup/TachDash.htm
Hope it helps ya!!
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
wild one
Registered.........

Just my .02$, I have this exact tach installed in my 66' (I followed perish's instructions, I even e-mailed him for a copy of his vintage tach face - he responded and sent me the image/file so I could have a new face made, he was very helpfull and came off as a very nice guy) and am NOT satisfied with the tachs operation. It's completely inaccurate at any and all RPM, at idle it reads 0, at a verified 2500 rpm ( verified by diagnostic external tachometer ) it reads 3400 rpm! Beware - these tachs are made in china and proper operation is not guaranteed , especially after being modified to work in the dash!

I recently purchased the autometer anniversary 3 3/4" tach http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch and will be replacing the J.C. Whitney brand tach with this one. I know it's quite a bit more expensive but after the time spent to redo this endeavor I want one that actually performs as it ought too.

I will say this about the J.C. whitney tach though, after the face modification it does look good in the dash and has fooled quite a few people who thought it was a factory piece. I just won't spend the time and energy doing a project of this nature again without starting with a quality piece.

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
fchava

I have to agree with wildone. It is not very accurate at low RPM's, but seems close on the mid to upper.(reads about 1900 rpms as 70 mph) I do not rely on it for anything, so it works good enough for me.
fchava is offline   Reply With Quote