The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Spindle questions

Hey guys I'm planning on buying my spindles tomorrow to get here by next week. I had a couple questions though.

First: With a 3 inch spindle and 15 inch rallies, I have to modify the lower control arm right? What has to be done? I believe it's just cutting the lip off the bottom of em right?

Second: Is it safe to assume that my truck has 1" thick rotors? 80 Scottsdale with a 350, came from the factory with a tow hitch, with 2.73 rear gears. Only the heavy duty stuff had 1.25 inch rotors right? Or should I just go measure myself?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: Spindle questions

I had to grind the corner of the spindle about 1/8" to prevent rubbing. the only mod I needed for my LCA was removing the bump stops, but that was for bag clearance.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
xtreme80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
I had to grind the corner of the spindle about 1/8" to prevent rubbing. the only mod I needed for my LCA was removing the bump stops, but that was for bag clearance.
I already removed the bump stops so that won't be an issue. I'm hoping I won't have to do much to the LCAs though.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme80 View Post
I already removed the bump stops so that won't be an issue. I'm hoping I won't have to do much to the LCAs though.
How 'bout some pics?? - I'm thinking of bagging my '87.
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
xtreme80

What do you want pics of? My truck isn't bagged. I just have two inch coils up front so I took off the bump stops.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Hey guys I'm planning on buying my spindles tomorrow to get here by next week. I had a couple questions though.

First: With a 3 inch spindle and 15 inch rallies, I have to modify the lower control arm right? What has to be done? I believe it's just cutting the lip off the bottom of em right?

Second: Is it safe to assume that my truck has 1" thick rotors? 80 Scottsdale with a 350, came from the factory with a tow hitch, with 2.73 rear gears. Only the heavy duty stuff had 1.25 inch rotors right? Or should I just go measure myself?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Measure the rotors. My truck was so plain jane it didn't have a cig lighter, no power anything, but it did have 1.25 rotors.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
What do you want pics of? My truck isn't bagged. I just have two inch coils up front so I took off the bump stops.
Looking back... hotrodhomi said somehting about bags, not you.. oops
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

NEVER assume anything--measure the brake rotors. It is not hard, turn the front wheels to allo access behind the tire and stick a tape measure up to the rotor and see how thick it is.

As for clearance, if you run a 4" backspace, the trimming will be minimal. All you would have to do is grind down the lower lip some and it clears. however, you need to look at FULL LEFT AND RIGHT TURN clearance. Check the spacint that the rims have on the turn radius and see if the rims drag on the lower A-arms when in a turn, if so, then add a small spacer to the spindle bump stop and eliminate some of the turn radius.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
xtreme80

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
NEVER assume anything--measure the brake rotors. It is not hard, turn the front wheels to allo access behind the tire and stick a tape measure up to the rotor and see how thick it is.

As for clearance, if you run a 4" backspace, the trimming will be minimal. All you would have to do is grind down the lower lip some and it clears. however, you need to look at FULL LEFT AND RIGHT TURN clearance. Check the spacint that the rims have on the turn radius and see if the rims drag on the lower A-arms when in a turn, if so, then add a small spacer to the spindle bump stop and eliminate some of the turn radius.
Awesome! I appreciate all the info!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
xtreme80

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post

Just checked and they are in fact 1 1/4"... so it looks like that's what I'll be going with.

Is there anywhere on this forum specifically for vendors? I'd like to order from a vendor on here if possible.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
xtreme80

Nevermind, I ordered from GMCPauls.com.

By far the best prices around!