The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
69rut

Re: disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
There are several ways to go about this.
Probably the simplest, is to do an entire crossmember swap....
This thing weights a ton so be careful!

I just swaped parts. Get ball joints for a 71-72 and install them in the control arms. The ball joints will fit the earlier model control arms without modification, but have a different taper for the disc brake spindles.

I think you can keep the same tie rod ends, but if you go with the 71-72 units you will find them to be larger in diameter. This will require the use of the later model tie rod ends.

You will need to get a disc/drum master cylinder also. Drum/drum will not work. I would do the power booster install also, but the brakes will still work just fine with out it.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
gmc67swb

disc brakes

OK boys i need a little help, Tired of not having the stopping power ,planning to go from shoes on the front to disc,its a 67gmc swb, the question is what years models of trucks do i need to be looking for to do the swap? In advance thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
hdflstf

I don't know that details of the swap but the 71 & 72 trucks came with discs up front.
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There are several ways to go about this.
Probably the simplest, is to do an entire crossmember swap. As long as you get one with good solid parts, it is a lot less work, but a little more intense.
You have to figure out how to support the engine and the frame. Any complete crossmember from a '73-'87 will bolt right under it. You have to move one hole on each side, but it is no big deal, the others line right up.
This gets you not only disc brakes, but the newer (rubber) control arm bushings and everthing is from the same year truck...no adapting or modification.
Be sure to get the proportiong valve too. The one for disc brakes is different.
Be prepared to swap to "power" brakes too. With-out power you will be disappointed in the stopping. Discs alone are not any better than properly adjusted and maintained drums. Discs don't "fade" as quickly as drums, they deal with heat better. They don't require as much maintenence either. Over-all I think it s a great thing to do to these trucks, but if you don't add the booster, when you drive down the street and hit the pedal at the first stop sign....you will be disapointed.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote