The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Rooster's82

Water in my oil

I'm rather embarrassed to tell you guys about this but i flooded my engine with water. In the most boneheaded way. I was putting in a new T-stat and decided to flush the coolant system while i was at it. Well i just let the water flow out of the intake (where you put the t-stat) over my engine block and down the sides. I have to say at the time it seemed like a good idea, the hot water from the system flushing over my engine and removing some grease and grime. Well as it turns out the water flushing over the engine found its way in somewhere....not sure where but it did and now my oil looks like cappuccino. I only drove the truck about 5 blocks to warm up the engine to see if the t-stat was working (which it is). Then i went to replace my oil pressure sensor and saw that my oil was toast. So i have had it draining for about 24 hours now.

I plan on getting some cheap oil and running it for a couple of minutes, draining and repeating until it looks like i have the water out. Has anyone else had to deal with a situation like this? Is there anything out there designed to aid in the removal of water from the engine? I was thinking about dropping the oil pan and cleaning it out while i was at it...any thoughts on this? I have been meaning to replace the valve cover seals too, should i do that know too? any suggestions on the order...like should i do the valve cover and oil pan before i start running clean oil or after?

If you can't find it at the junk yard you don't need it.
Rooster's82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
slug

Re: Water in my oil

Just Try And Flush Out As Much Water/oil Mix As You Can, Dont Let The Crankcase Sit For To Long With No Oil In It. It Will Let The Machined Surfaces Flash Rust.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's82 View Post
...not sure where but it did and now my oil looks like cappuccino....I plan on getting some cheap oil and running it for a couple of minutes, draining and repeating...
on likening it to cappuccino. I've been there before, and it does resemble it. About the "cheap" oil, I didn't know there was such a thing anymore. Sounds like you have a good plan tho, good luck, it'll work out.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Pyrotechnic

Wal Mart Super Tech oil. Cheaper than the name brands, but I've heard it's a major brand oil thats been repackaged.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
westie 666

Yep, done it before

I just did two oil & filter changes, running the motor just long enough to warm up and it was fine.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well are you sure that thats how it happened? if the oil looks like cappucino there may be a blown head gasket or a crack somewhere keep checking the oil after you do this flush and that will tell you if it was your fault getting water in or there were other problems

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote