The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
slick78

help building!

ok so im gona rebuil my 1978 stepside.im guna swap out the straight six for a 454 and three speed for automatic.what do i have to do to get that done? a kit or something?.i wana paint the frame also,what paint do i use?. i wana put air bags on it too.what kit should i get?. you see its my first time building a truck,so i want to do thing right.i just need some guiedness and lots of help!.so any advice please help me.thanx.
slick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
slug

Re: help building!

no kit as far as the swap. you will just have to move your tranny crossmember, figure out the tranny linkage, new driveshaft, new exhaust, new radiator, and possibly a set of v8 motor mounts. as far as painting the frame, i would use chassis black. i think there are a few makers of chassis black. i know eastwood and ppg make them, but im sure there are other makers. juts go check out your local automotive paint store.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
slick78

thanx for the advice,i need as much help possible,how much my brakes.i want to convert to disck brakes,is it hard? and how hard is it to put together a big block?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
joeymarkgraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick78 View Post
thanx for the advice,i need as much help possible,how much my brakes.i want to convert to disck brakes,is it hard? and how hard is it to put together a big block?
The answer to both your questions-- It only takes money son.
joeymarkgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
76PasoGMC

Well some companies make kits for the disc brakes. Are u talking about rear brakes. Does your truck have discs in the front?

I live in Paso Robles, so Hi neighbor!!

Oh yeah make sure you have plenty of money. What kinda plans do u have for the 454?
76PasoGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
streetstar

your '78 should have discs on the front --- they are not a "must buy" accessory for the rear -- good pads and fresh drums surfaces will do wonders.

As far as difficulty level goes, putting together a big block is not rocket science, but it is involved and there are a lot of steps to go through.

It would almost be easier to find one that runs in the paper, clean it up, and hope for the best-- you can pick them up running for as little as 7 -750 $

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
slick78

yea disk brake set up? or u think ill be ok with drums? and for the 454 im guna buy the rebuil kit from summit or other company i can find.im guna try to put a edelbrok air gap,with a 750 holley,and a comp cam like a 230/230 or so they told me it was a good cam.what u guys think about the combo?