The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
TXRANGER

lowering questions

I am sure this has been asked 1001 times, But here goes. I just bought a 71 LWB Cheyenne super. I am looking at lowering it. I am not sure if I want to go 2,3 or 3,4. I just want to bring in down out of the air and still give it a good look. My questions are how much should I look at spending to do it myself or paying someone else to do it? If I did it myself how hard is it? What stance have you guys seen that looks best when said and done?
I am really looking forward to building my ride and learning a lot from this site. Thanks
Attached Images

TXRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: lowering questions

You can pretty much lower a truck with basic hand tools, and then take it to an alignment shop for the rest. I'm planning on going with ECE's (Early Classic Enterprises) 4/6 kit, but they offer several different kits. If you look at their stance photos section it will help you to determine what will look best on your truck. Here's the link for that... click on the "Next" button at the bottom of the page for different vehicles.

That is one beautiful truck you have, and you might receive a lot of grief about lowering such a clean original, but hey it's your truck! I prefer them a closer to the ground, so I'm behind you.

Good luck with the lowering project, and be sure to keep us posted on your decision, and remember we love pics!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Also, to the board from Mid-MO!!! You'll learn to love this place, and it will become your second home!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

First, to the board from South Florida. with Nate. It is a great looking truck but I too like the lowered look. I currently have a 3/6 drop. Stock spindles with 3 inch drop springs in the front and 6" drop coils in the back. Nice stance but may bag it. Right now I'm doing a drum/disk conversion in the front. ECE has great parts with a very knowledgable staff when it comes to our trucks. What ever you choose to do, do I for you because afterall you'll be driving it. And, ask questions. This is a great place with allot of great people but just remember, we like lots of pictures, LOL.

Here's my Stepside with a 3/6 drop.

Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors

Last edited by myoldchevytruck; 06-13-2008 at 09:25 AM.
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

In my experience, lowering is just like lifting.....Whenever there is a question of "how much", go with the greater amount. I have never seen anyone say "I went too far" on the first shot. The cost difference is usually not that much and the work involved is similar. There are "limits" to this. Certain amounts of drop or lift have significant cost differences.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
SCOTI

Nice truck. A mild drop looks good on a lwb & allows the truck to remain functional as a truck. There are multiple ways to drop these trucks but since you have a 71, I would recommend drop spindles up front. You can then either trim the front coils or use a 1-2" drop spring & save the originals in case you should ever want to go back to stock. Add a sway bar & some decent gas shocks & you're good to go.

The back is just as easy w/multiple choices as well. If you have the coil suspension some lowering blocks w/longer u-bolts not only lower the truck but allow shock travel to remain unchanged. Add some shorter drop coils (3-4") & the same gas shocks. You would do well to invest in a 'long' panhard bar as it helps keep things where you want them better than the stock set-up does once the geometry is changed. If it has leaf suspension, a flip kit is the easiest.

You can get more drop w/a few more items but this will get you started & back on the road (enjoying the truck) w/little down time. There's many of us here in the DFW area that can offer support should you need it.

Have fun!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-13-2008 at 10:31 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
northerngmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post

I'm planning on going with ECE's (Early Classic Enterprises) 4/6 kit, but they offer several different kits. If you look at their stance photos section it will help you to determine what will look best on your truck. Here's the link for that... click on the "Next" button at the bottom of the page for different vehicles.

I like the ECE photo's but everyone talks about sag, and how much lower a 40 year old truck may already have. Has anyone measured the distance to the top of the fender well opening on a stock truck (without 40 years of use), 2/4 lowering and a 4/6 lowering?

I am curious to know that. I am considering a 2/4 drop on my 69 GMC as I do not what to change the spindles, but my concern is that I may not see much of a drop as the truck has lowered itself over time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
70GMCer

Take a side view picture of your truck and go here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=33 & ask to photoshop it to a lower stance.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
TXRANGER

I just want to bring it out of the air a little. That is why I was thinking 2-3. I just didn't want to do the 2-3 and it not be enough. 3-4 is the max I want to drop it. IT is a truck after all. I was just wondering what the ballpark range price is to do the drop.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRANGER View Post
I just want to bring it out of the air a little. That is why I was thinking 2-3. I just didn't want to do the 2-3 and it not be enough. 3-4 is the max I want to drop it. IT is a truck after all. I was just wondering what the ballpark range price is to do the drop.
Spindles up front are < $300 for 2.5" drop & 3-4" rear coils are < $150.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
northerngmc

From ECE webpage

2/4 Premium Drop Kits (2" Drop Front Coil Springs, 4" Drop Rear Coil Springs, 4 KYB Shock Absorbers, Shock Mount Relocator Kit, Adjustable Panhard Bar) $479

4/6 Drop Kits (2.5" Drop Spindles, 1.5" Drop Front Coil Springs, 6" Rear Drop Coil Springs, 4 KYB Shock Absorbers, Super Track Bar Kit, Shock Mount Relocator Kit) (Drop Spindles require Disc Brakes) $759

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!

Last edited by northerngmc; 06-13-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typing error
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
68_chop_top

I used the 2" drop spindles and 2" lowering springs in the front. I used 3" lowering springs and 1" lowering blocks in the rear. No problems noted.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Woobie

Here are before and after shots of my 72 lwb. I did an ECE drop kit with everything I needed and a 4/5" drop. I also went with a 1 1/4" sway bar and after shipping, everything was right at $1100. I posted after I got it done with some very nice replies but I don't know how to add that thread to this post. The thread was "Lowered my truck this weekend, too." Wish I could help more.

Regards,
Paul
Attached Images

2007 Xterra (Wife's ride)

R.I.P. "ESLL"
Woobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Welcome!!

I'll just add that you may want to wander around in the suspension forum.There will be good posts over there showing some specific stuff in the suspension.It may help you determine whether you want to DIY or farm it out.There is also a Gallery which should have some pics of different drops.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
TXRANGER

Thanks for all the help. I will post more pictures when I get the work done.