The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

TPI Fuel System Preservative?

I just bought a totaled '91 Z28 with the TPI 350/700R4 engine/tranny for installation in our '70 C-10 short step. The engine starts right up, and seems to run pretty good for the limited amount that I've driven it; the radiator doesn't hold water beyond the halfway point but it's obvious this car was the pride and joy of the former owner (a female) and was well taken care of.

The gas tank was full when the accident happened, and I have since transferred most of the fuel to my other cars (all but a 1/4 tank).

So my question is this: is there any fuel treatment/Marvel Mystery Oil/etc. that I should run through the fuel rails/injectors before I pull everything? It may be several months before it fires up again, and the thought of the fuel congealing and gumming up in the injectors/fuel rails is not a pretty one. Someone at work was telling me about some sort of system available to flush out the injection system...any ideas?

Thanks!
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: TPI Fuel System Preservative?

you can put in that stabyl (sp?) if you dont feel comfortable leaving it but i dont think its gona hurt it just sitting for a few months

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Re: TPI Fuel System Preservative?

Several months likely won't hurt anything. You won't get into trouble until it sits for several years. I had an injected engine no-start come into the shop one time and the only thing wrong with it was two-year old stale fuel. After I finally figured that out, it popped right off and ran great.

If you elect to dump something in the system, the stuff to use is called Stabil fuel system preservative. It won't hurt anything for the short term, and may well be the saving thing if it becomes a long term sit. All the parts stores have it.
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote