The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #26
benoit454
Chris

Re: Broke My Truck Again -Long- (56k be carefull!)

Well honestly I think alot of your problem would lie in the rearend.

A spool is not designed for street use. it won't let the axles spin at different speeds like they should when you corner. I've seen alot of people have damage because of that very same thing. As for a full spool probably the same way.

That's weird that the th350 done that, weird how sometimes one can just blow apart. I have a junkyard th350 in my monte carlo that I've manually shifted since I put it in, hasn't given me any trouble except for pan gaskets leaking. Every ow and then I shift it into drive when I start out, usually when it's cold, once she warms up I hammer it pretty hard.

I would have thought on a truck from a dead stop hammer you'd get nothing but tires smoking off.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #27
streetstar

Yep -- pull that spool if its a street driven truck.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
85 c-10

The spool will be coming out once I get money to get the posi unit, which will be about the same time the tranny is done. Im using it now b/c I bought a axle kit from Moser and it came with it. The axles are 30 spline and they wouldn't fit in the stock carrier axle holes. I don't like the spool. Its hard to turn, it wears out the front tires pretty quick, and its harder to push off the road when it breaks! My father asked if I would run a blanket next time also. His uncle built an old front engine dragster back in the 60's where the flexplate let go and took off most of his ankle. I was looking at an ATI 400 for about $1200. For the money in an auto, I thought about finding a T56 out of an LT1 car. I'll see what money I can make and go from there.

Josh
85 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:53 AM   #29
Zoomad75
K5Camper

If you shredded a th350 like that an F-body T56 isn't going to last long either. Check out some of the 4th gen f-body sites and you'll see most making large amounts of power ditch the T56 for a TH400. Sure some get by for a while, but a stock T56 isn't stronger than a TH400. Plus the cost to swap would be more than your built up th400.

Don't get me wrong, banging gears on a manual tranny is one of my most favorite things to do. But, a t56 won't last with spooled up hard launches. That is short of the Viper spec T56 and even then it might need some beefing. (read even more money)
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 PM   #30
streetstar

I can't wait to hear how your truck does when you get the turbo going tho ---- i was at the drags yesterday and saw a Pro Mod car run a whisper quiet 7 second pass on 10.5 slicks

Of course the intercooler was as big as a Snap On top box and took up most of the passenger area --

But i think you could still get a truck solidly in the 11's or 12's and still be a "truck" - not a racecar with a truck body
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #31
85 c-10

Re: Broke My Truck Again -Long- *NEW PICS*(56k be carefull!)

Well it took some time, but I got the 400 built and installed. I used a 34 element sprag and all Red Alto clutches, and Kolene steels. Im running a 10" 2800 stall as well. I had another thread a while back about the driveshaft. I've decided to use the output from the old Pontiac and a 1pc. shaft. The measurements will be called in to Denny's Driveshaft on Tuesday. I'm gonna run their Heavy Duty series with 1330 yokes/joints. I am going to build my own crossmember so I can run the exhaust better than what came on the truck. Here are some more pics after everything was removed. Any guesses on what made this thing let go? My modest opinoin is something let go inside. It looks like the guts were thrust apart and broke the tailshaft, this broke the mount and let the trans split apart. Im pissed about the muffler too. I really didn't want to buy another Flowmaster at $90. I might try to save this one until I get the turbo on.

Josh

85 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #32
Pyrotechnic

Good to see some progress. If you can't salvage that Flowmaster, don't even bother buying another unless you are gonna be running NA for quite awhile longer. Flowmasters are the worst possible muffler for a turbo. Something like Dynomax Ultraflo's or Race Bullet's, or anything that has a very straight through design with no baffles is what you want.

That some wicked carnage. I don't know how you hooked up that hard to break stuff like that.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #33
f.monroe

Re: Broke My Truck Again -Long- *NEW PICS*(56k be carefull!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85 c-10 View Post
Any guesses on what made this thing let go?
A friend of mine had a Ford truck do the same thing back in the early 90's . His truck ran 12 O's on street tires and pump gas with no nitrous . Just a bigblock ford . The thing was scarry on the street . Anyway , his truck rolled off the trailer and he didnt think anything happened . Drove fine , no indication of a problem . We took it to the track and he hammered it . The end result was as bad as yours . His even slung the converter out onto the track . Our best gues is that the driveshaft let go first and the front section came around and found something solid , then locked it and the trans let go . We tease him that he may have hit reverse also since his came apart during a 2/3 shift and he still had the factory column shifter . I actually miss that truck . There were a couple fast trucks in Bryan ,Tx around 1992. I wish I had pics of another friends 468 powered 81 that ran 11.90 at Little River Dragway on just motor and 10.5 inch slicks . For 1992 , those were fast .
Frank
Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #34
lurch115

okay, i have one question for ya after looking at the pictures.....had you ever replaced the transmission mount?? Cause the way it is broken (how close and straight it broke away from the motor and that most of the damage is to the top side of the tranny) also notice that the mount is torn...i've seen numerous tranny mounts(stock ones) rip like yours is and smack the bottom of the cab hard enough to brake away from the motor, but not shatter the top like that.

i do have to say though, when you break something. You mean business!
if your gonna do it you might as well go all out! lol

you should post pics when you get it all fixed and then with the turbo on it also...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote