The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
DWC

Door latch questions

Hey All,

My passenger door will not open from the inside, the handle does not release the latch. So I took it apart and I believe I need a new door control relay. It appears to have some slop and is not operating the latch.

I've also noticed my striker plates look pretty worn out so I may be replacing those. Maybe I should do the latches too.

I'm sure some of you guys have replaced these, any tips, tricks, or advice?

With the latches it could get expensive, was it worth the $$$

Thanks, Dave
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
soba_03

Re: Door latch questions

Dave, working my doors right now, actually. Mine will open from the outside but latches have some slop. I priced new ones. Then thought I could fix what I have. Mine when the door is closed and latched would rock 1/2 - 3/4 or an inch.
If you pull the latch, then operate it while looking at it in your hand. First grove you see is the safety latch. The second one that you see is fully closed position. With the latch fully latched there is nothing to prevent the latchfrom going in to far, thus creating play. I'm sure that it's more complicated than it sounds. If you pull off a latch you will see what I'm saying. We just tacked a bead of weld to keep the latch from over traveling. Seems much better.

I busted it apart and did my thing and back together with out even thinking about pictures. I'm not sure that new latches would have solved my problem. Looks like it was how the latch was made.

I hope this helps....

Last edited by soba_03; 06-24-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: omitted something
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
66customcamper

I had to replace my driver's side latch mechanism about 12 years ago. I seem to remember paying $20-30 at a junk yard (no clue what they'd run now). Worst part of the whole process was getting the screws out of the door panel. Probably 8 hrs with an handheld impact driver & bfh.

Now my pass. side is stuck "ajar" & won't open from inside or out. Gave it a whirl with the impact & hammer one afternoon & gave up. Luckily I don't drive it much, rattles like a demon driving down the road. One of these weekends I don't have anything to do I'll give it another shot.
66customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Anthony Fremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66customcamper View Post
Worst part of the whole process was getting the screws out of the door panel. Probably 8 hrs with an handheld impact driver & bfh.
I'm trying to get mine off and I really feel your pain.
'97 1200C Sportster
Anthony Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
soba_03

Speaking of those FINE Clutch head screws, where can you find a bit or anything to remove them? Had to use vise grips on a few of mine as well... Whole darn truck must be build around those screws..so dang tight.......
Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

If youhave a torch, or an oxy welder, you can heat up the screws until they are red hot , then quench them with a stream of water from a spray bottle.
the heat, and rapid cool will break lose all the rust , and they will come right out. some might need 2 passes.

I just stripped down 4 doors , and it was the way to go.

just be careful with the heat, on some the metal around the screw will heat up too, and if you get it too hot it will melt a hole.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
fastbagged68

My latches are shot on my 63'. My door decided one day to fly open around a corner and has not shut since. My latches on both side are worn out. In order to open my passenger side door you need to put a shoulder into from the inside. I bought Bear claw latches for it. it costed me $35. from summit. I didn't feel like spending twice as much on a factory peice.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
soba_03

Sounds like maybe I should try and rebuild some latches from local yard and see if I can make them better or at least better than what most of us have.... They aren't that complicated.