The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #26
minime's 68'

Re: question for air bag guys

I was wondering if anyone knew if air bags are a smoother ride. I have a 4X4 and was thinking about getting them. Any info would be much apprecitated.
minime's 68' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #27
bcubed

Model RE-7
Diameter "0" PSI 7"
Diameter Max PSI 7"
Max PSI 200
Plate Material Zinc/Aluminum
Min Height 2.9"
Max Height 11"
Mounting (Top) (2) 3/8" -16
Mounting (Bottom) (3) 3/8" -16
Air Port NPT (1) 1/2"
Interal Bump Stops Y
Force to Collapse
(Min Height) 300 lbs

Height at Ride Height will depend on alot of factors ... how much pressure you run, if you have dropped spindles, custom A Arms, etc ...

2000 Bagged Silverado
1978 Chevy Malibu
1955 Apache Stepside (someday)
bcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #28
bcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime's 68' View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew if air bags are a smoother ride. I have a 4X4 and was thinking about getting them. Any info would be much apprecitated.
Yes, they offer a nice ride ... but putting them into most 4x4s require lots of fabrication that would cost thousands of dollars .. I'm sure there are easier ways to get a better ride.

2000 Bagged Silverado
1978 Chevy Malibu
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #29
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I did a full static drop but was less than impressed with the load capability of my new rear springs. I have decided to install rear only air bags that are on the basic schrader valve system. My question for you guys is, what exact bag should I get? I want to have the option of upgrading my system down the road if I decide to go that route. I hear a lot of people suggest slam re7's, is the 2 re200 7" the specific bag I need? What would be the best port size to allow for any system upgrade (1/4", 1/2")? When installing the bags on the factory t-arm do I need any thing besides the actual bag (cups or plates) or do they just bolt up? I would just run my schrader valve to behind my flip up license plate. If any one has a shopping list w/ part numbers, length and size of air lines needed, list of connectors, etc. , I would appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #30
bcubed

Slam Specialties Bags are good, they give you more lift than say Firestones, and as you fill them they do not ballon (get bigger around) .. RE-7 is 7" diameter, there is also an RE-8 that you might could run provided you had the room.

Most of the shrader valve kits come with airline (like 1/4") fittings (again 1/4") and the valve ... but I would get a bag with a 1/2" port (or 3/8" at the least) ... you can get a fitting that will allow you to run 1/4" line to the 1/2" port.

This way if you want to do a full bag setup in the future you will have a good bag to start it off.

Air Ride sells a manual inflation kit http://www.ridetech.com/products/inf...ows-826-0.html

You would just need a couple of these to go into the bag 1/2" port to reduce it to 1/4"

http://www.*****************/12x14ReducingBushing.php#

[img]http://www.*****************/images/products/mid_1-2_x_1-4_Reducing_Bushing.jpg[/img]

All said and done, you would probably be talking about $185-200, bags, fittings, lines, and shrader valve.

2000 Bagged Silverado
1978 Chevy Malibu
Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #31
dznucks

i am looking to bag my rear so i will be able to adjust the "squat" of the truck when i carry a load. ECE drop srpings dont handle loads well. will these bags from slam specialties be able to carry a load. i saw that they have a max psi of 300, but what does that translate into as far as load capacity.

Does any body have experience with this?
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #32
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
i am looking to bag my rear so i will be able to adjust the "squat" of the truck when i carry a load. ECE drop srpings dont handle loads well. will these bags from slam specialties be able to carry a load. i saw that they have a max psi of 300, but what does that translate into as far as load capacity.

Does any body have experience with this?
Yes, bags swapped in place of coils will carry as much load (or more) than the coils they're replacing. I used them on my 68 for exactly the purpose you described & I only added air to re-level the truck.

The Slams or Firestones will work fine in a 6X-72 truck rear trailing arm suspension.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-26-2008 at 07:51 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #33
bcubed

With air bags, if your truck sits level unloaded, and you put a big load in the back, you just add more air and you will be level again ... the more you add though the more firm the ride would be ... so say you did put 300psi in the bags (which you never really would) .. it wouldnt be driveable that way ... but typically you might have 75 or 80 psi in the bags .. add a load and put like 100-115 in them to compensate and it still would ride fine.

2000 Bagged Silverado
1978 Chevy Malibu
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #34
PipsC10

I just ordered the air inflation kit pictured above from air ride tech, and just be advised it came with plastic fittings. The pictures all show brass fittings. I'm only using it to air up my suspension for loading my chassis on a trailer and I will replace the plastic fittings later with brass.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #35
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcubed View Post
Slam Specialties Bags are good, they give you more lift than say Firestones, and as you fill them they do not ballon (get bigger around) .. RE-7 is 7" diameter, there is also an RE-8 that you might could run provided you had the room.

Most of the shrader valve kits come with airline (like 1/4") fittings (again 1/4") and the valve ... but I would get a bag with a 1/2" port (or 3/8" at the least) ... you can get a fitting that will allow you to run 1/4" line to the 1/2" port.

This way if you want to do a full bag setup in the future you will have a good bag to start it off.

Air Ride sells a manual inflation kit http://www.ridetech.com/products/inf...ows-826-0.html

You would just need a couple of these to go into the bag 1/2" port to reduce it to 1/4"

http://www.*****************/12x14ReducingBushing.php#

[img]http://www.*****************/images/products/mid_1-2_x_1-4_Reducing_Bushing.jpg[/img]

All said and done, you would probably be talking about $185-200, bags, fittings, lines, and shrader valve.

What would be better for a future full system 1/2" or 3/8"? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either one? I have decided to for sure do this conversion and I appreciate all the info you guys are so willing to share. Thanks again, this board rocks. Also I have a 4" drop in the back, will it be possible to maintain that ride height with the bags? Can you use what ever height for ride height or is there a sweet spot. I just don't want my ride in the back not be compatible with my static front system. Would a C- Notch be a good Idea?

Last edited by lts70; 06-27-2008 at 12:38 PM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #36
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
What would be better for a future full system 1/2" or 3/8"? What are the advantages and disadvantages of either one? I have decided to for sure do this conversion and I appreciate all the info you guys are so willing to share. Thanks again, this board rocks. Also I have a 4" drop in the back, will it be possible to maintain that ride height with the bags? Can you use what ever height for ride height or is there a sweet spot. I just don't want my ride in the back not be compatible with my static front system. Would a C- Notch be a good Idea?
The larger the airline, the faster the response when adjusting height. Some like to go from dump to lift in 'nano-seconds' which requires the larger dia line. Others are perfectly happy w/a slower speed & only need 1/4" line.

Yes, you can maintain that 4" drop w/the bags. It might take a combination of bag + spacer/hat, but it can be done easy enough. Bags have a recommended ride height per manufacturer. That height will be the 'sweet spot'.

C-notches are only needed past 5" of drop. Some guys will say 6" while others have had issues. So.... call it anything over 5" drop plan for c-notching.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-27-2008 at 01:26 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote