The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
orbot

Bad steering

Ok i put in a new set of leafs up front but was too high, soo took off some leafs and lately i added an angle plate cause the front shaft did not aligne right to the transfer due to the it grinding againts the trannys croosmember, this is where i maybe messed up.....

So had that angle plate put in so the yoke went up a few dregrees and now ive got weir steering, over 30 mph it gets wobely.

Dont know much about caster degrees or that stuff, im new at that...need some help..i thought i needed a new steering stabilizer.

The front knuckles looks to be a couple of dregrees towards the rear on the upper part

http://s311.photobucket.com/albums/kk471/bot000/

Last edited by orbot; 07-02-2008 at 04:41 PM.
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Bad steering

At least with the 67-72's 4" and less lift springs generally don't need an angled shim.

Does your front driveshaft have a CV-Joint? I had to add one to my 69's front driveshaft when I did an initial 4" lift, I think maybe related to having the Rockwell transfer case.

Hopefully someone who know about front end issues will chime in, if not, I'd say you ought to run up to an alignment shop and see if you could talk to a tech about it.

Dropping the tranfer case crossmember could be an option to stop the rubbing. Do you by chance have new mounts in place - if not your old ones might be in bad shape causing part of the rubbing issue.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
orbot

Re: Bad steering

The mounts are new, bought them when i didnt knew the rubbing was happening didnt use 4wd that much, i guess ill take thoose shims out and put a leaf in and drop the croosmember an inch.
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote