The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
oldchevytrucknewbee

Ignitor kit replacing points on Distributor

Does anyone want to share their experience with this Conversion Kit? I am talking about the one made by Petronix Ignitor. This will be used on a 1970 C-20 2WD used mainly as a 3rd vehicle mainly for hauling supplies at home 6 to 10 times a year (not a hotrod). I am green and moderately mechanicly inclined, so please keep that in mind for any comments. Thanks
oldchevytrucknewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Ignitor kit replacing points on Distributor

My buddy and I have used these in the past. Overall they work well and are faily easy to install.

We have had one fail but was able to swap a set of points in to get home. Sent it to Pertronix and they replaced it free.

That is the biggest question, if you do have one fail on the road, you can't just walk into a shop for a new one. You'll have to convert back to points to get going again. If you put in an HEI setup, you can go into any parts store for parts.

Not a big cost difference between the two so it's up to you, original look but possible issues if fails on the road or upgrade to a factory type HEI and no worries for parts.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

I think this has been covered a bunch of times here but my own experience was that the Petronix point replacement that I bought for $80+tax was the same as points until 6 months later I left the key in the "on" position for a couple hours while on a job and it stopped working and I went back to points, I've heard that the new ones are better and that they've fixed this,I don't know personally.
$87 would have bought a lot of points,and I've NEVER had points quit on me in any vehicle.There is no performance gain with the Petronix in a stock motor (don't know about other performance levels).
Eventually I just got one of those $47 HEI type Distribs off ebay and it has been good so far.Starts a bit easier is only improvement besides the maintenance issue.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, stereo speakers, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

The best way if you have clearance is to put on a HEI dist. If you want to keep the stock dist. Crane has a kit out that is much easier to install then Petronics in that window type dist. It is a neater installation. I get them at Summit.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
70rs/ss

I have the Accel type and they are better than points. Hei is easy to do as well, and frankly any electronic ignition can and will fail, but hei stuff is more readily available.

For the guy that had one burn up, if you leave the key on with points they'll burn up as well, the idea is voltage is there with the key on, so that is kind of an unfair look at the part, because leaving the key on wasn't the fault of the pertronix, but the user.

Unless I couldn't fit an hei, I doubt I'd do the swap even though I have the unit (new in box!), but I will say this, my 67 chevelle has ac so an hei will not fit, so I am going to use the pertroix, 6 set up in there? So opinions vary as they will, just look at both options and decide, with the pertronix unit, everything else stays the same, hei you need cap rotor, wires, etc so there are some other exspenses.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
cparman
sharp as a marble

At my shop we have installed a bunch of these 20 or so in the past few years. They work well, and have remained trouble free. I would recommend a new coil when you do this, and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 12 VOLTS AT THE COIL !!
I think this is a great way to go if you do not want to do the HEI deal.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
oldchevytrucknewbee

Hey Folks:
Thankyou very much to all of you that replied. This is my first time on a message board and it has been a very good experience. Being that I don't want to put a lot of money in this project by having to buy many other new parts, I'm going to try the Crane Ignition system. I will probably get a new coil and carry in my truck my current barely used points in case of failure of the ignitor.Best luck and take care.
oldchevytrucknewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Willy Prost

I'd say go for it.

I installed mine 11 years ~70,000 miles ago.

Still runs smoother, can lug it at lower rpms, and works without maitenance.

What more do you want?
Willy Prost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
70rs/ss

Pertronix has revised/improved the design so it should be a good piece, but accel and others make a kit as well, just a matter of preferance, and cost I suppose. Definately get a new coil and be sure not to run power to it with the original the points wire, as it is a resistance wire and will only allow 6-8 volts as opposed to 12. Run a wire from the switched power terminal on the fuse block (inside the truck) to the new unit. If you really want to do it "right" pull the resistance wire terminal out of the junction block on the firewall and replace the wire with new wire and terminal, NAPA sells the terminal/blade for a buck or two.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-16-2008 at 10:04 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote