The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Question What to save

Next week the 292/4speed is coming out. I know the 4 speed basically needs to just go for scrap but what parts to save off the 292 and what are they worth. Checked site search but didn't get anything. Nothing fancy on this truck only real option is the ps.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Re: What to save

You can sell the power steering stuff for a serious chunk of change.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Maybe I'm stupid... but what is the deal with the 4 speed that it should just be scrapped?
Is it weak or something? Bad gear ratios? What?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Nothing wrong with it just granny 4 speed that not a lot of people are looking for.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Now... a granny 4 speed means that the first gear is really low right? Couldn't you run a really (uhh... low? tall? high? smaller?) gear ratio in the back? Like 2.73 or something? So that the 1st gear is usable for more than smoking the tires, and 4th is almost like overdrive?
If I had a way of getting it, I'd take it off your hands for whatever the scrap yard was paying you... but I don't have the means or the money right now. (got laid off).
Todd
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 07-15-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Heck with my gears I have a posi 4.11 in the rear can't even smoke tires with first basically you can get to 4 mph before shifting, but it will pull a house down. Wish you luck with the job hunt I have been in that spot before and I know it sucks big time
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

If that's an SM465 (just looked it up to find the ratios...)
Ratio's are: 6.56, 3.58, 1.70, and 1.00
If you ran a rear gear ratio of 2.70, 28 inch tires, and red line was 5500rpms
1st would red line at 26mph
2nd would red line at 48mph
3rd would red line at 100mph
4th would red line at 170mph
70mph in 4th would be 2268rpms

IIOY???
Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
msgross

KEEP EVERYTHING UNTIL YOUR BUILD IS DONE....

that's the best advice I can give. If you really need to get rid of it then pass it on to a fellow board member. Scrap should be the last resort (trust me , I know) lots of guys like the 292 and the manual 4 speed.

If you must sell then you should be able the get a few bills for the engine and 100 or so for the tranny. Was it 4WD or 2WD? The 4WD adapter and TC are worth money if so...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Oh, and here's a great calculator to use when seeing what gears will do what to your ride.
Gear Ratio Calculator

IIOY???
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #10
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

It is only a 2wd. I knew the 292 stuff was rare and hard to come by just wanted to make sure not loose anything at the body guy next week that needs to be saved for another member. Part of the reason the 4 speed has to go is my left knee is bad and after a time driving her it starts to ache so in will go the th350. Thanks for the info on gear ratios I wish I would have had it 2 years ago the truck would have been a whole lot more fun.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
N2GMTrux

I would be interseted in the 292 engine if it came complete with the engine mount brackets and frame towers. And the engine would have to be complete from top to bottom with all the accessories and brackets the way it was sitting in the engine compartment. You might have to hold the engine a month or two monthes until my Transport guy swings that way and picks it up for me.

Send me a P.M. and I'll give you my telephone number if your interested in talking.
N2GMTrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Hell... if you held the transmission long enough (and all the linkage stuff... pedals and so forth... everything you take out to convert to auto... I would need to convert my auto to standard) I would "eventually" come and get it. My 72 has a TH350... but I love standards, and want to change it out.
Understanding of course that my lack of job puts me in a lack of buying ability until I get back on my feet.
Hell... who knows... I might have the money in time for N2GMTrux's transport guy to pick it up since he and I are both in the same area.

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 07-15-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
dan42

I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that SM465 is not really geared properly and wouldn't perform the way you would expect a regular 4-speed would - I'm thinking that the ratios are spaced pretty far apart. The jump between second and third seems pretty big. I have a SM465 with a 3.73 rear end, and I like the tranny, but if I change something, it would be the tranny, not the rear end - something with a real overdrive in it. Just my .02
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that SM465 is not really geared properly and wouldn't perform the way you would expect a regular 4-speed would - I'm thinking that the ratios are spaced pretty far apart. The jump between second and third seems pretty big. I have a SM465 with a 3.73 rear end, and I like the tranny, but if I change something, it would be the tranny, not the rear end - something with a real overdrive in it. Just my .02
Well... my truck has a 3.08 in the rear end... Final drive would be about the same... but without the loss caused by torque converter.
Also... 1st wouldn't be totally worthless in my truck like in a truck with 4.11's.
Also... a gear vendors over / under drive would split each gear, which would make it pretty nice.
Oh... and each gear is about half of the next gear. Not too bad of a drop off to me. At least it's even.

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 07-15-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
He is right that is one thing that has also bothered me is that it is a long slow shift from gear to gear not like the modern or car shifters
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #16
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjh1316 View Post
He is right that is one thing that has also bothered me is that it is a long slow shift from gear to gear not like the modern or car shifters
That doesn't bother me too much.
I just checked, and if I shifted at 2500 rpms, I would shift at 10mph, 20mph, and 40mph. I'd be in 4th at 40mph just cruising.
It would only drop about 1150rpms between each shift.
(I'm using the calculator I linked above for these calculations)
Todd

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 07-16-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #17
N2GMTrux

Just send me a P.M. if your interested in selling the 292 complete engine though...... Has to come with everything,,,, from engine brackets and frame towers,,, carb air filter to oilpan,,, all accessory attachments with pullies and belts fanblade to the starter. Complete engine the way it sits in your engine bay area. I'm interested just send me a P.M.,,,,,,,,,,,,, signing off for know!!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #18
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

No problem it is running rough right now let me make sure everything is ok with it and I will get with you PM me your info and I will give you a shout
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #19
N2GMTrux

P.M. sent
Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Only 1st is a real low gear.The 4spds are 1:1 in final drive,like all non-O/D transmissions,with 2nd (the gear you start with) through 4th being appropriately spaced to get you up to speed.They are one of the best transmissions ever built for reliability.Times have changed making them less desireable since they aren`t O/D and most want automatic or a fast shifting performance manual.
I still prefer them.After replacing the NV4500s in both trucks I`ve had with them @ around 100,000 miles,I`ve grown to like them more.You can take a free NP465 and buy a GearVendors O/D for wht a NV4500 costs and have a bulletproof drivetrain with under and over drive.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Shyguy

I too like the granny 4 speeds. I have one in my '67 swb stepper and my '71 lwb stepper. The '67 has a l6 and the '71 has a 350 V-8.

If I feel the need to drive an automatic I drive my '92 GMC K-3500.
I seem to drive it less often because the 454 seems to love gasoline.

I guess I am at the age I have no need for speed shifting. Both trucks are used to haul and pull stuff.

My son and twin grandsons like the 3 speeds and autos better because they like to smoke tires and go fast.

The gear vendor with a 4 speed sounds like a great combination.

Danny
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #22
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Well... it seems that most of the problems are with people that have that transmission, and 3.73, 4.11, or 4.56 rear ends... And with those rear ends, I can understand why 1st would be next to worthless.
With a 3.08 or (again, is it taller or shorter?) gear ratio, 1st could be used to compensate for the (tall?) gears in the rear, and then in 4th, the rpms would be low like if it was an o/d tranny.
Is this not a correct assumption?

IIOY???