The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

quick question

i have heard that the frames from the cars and trucks are basically the same.?
i am asking this because down the road, i would like to do the S-10 frame on my wifes 49 Fleetline Deluxe.I have seen some people use G-body frames and the front tires always seem to be too wide ....Any help or information would be awesome......Thanks again...Tony
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
cajundragger

Re: quick question

doesnt *seem* like they are as the cars have ifs and the trucks has solid axle. But measurement wise it may be close.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Thanks i will look into this.....I guess not being very familiar with the truck frames . i may have HEARD wrong........Thanks again

Tony
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
mr48chev

Most of the guys who build those do either a suspension swap or graft on a subframe/front clip to the frame.

I'd Osay what you do depends on what you have to start with. If the car is solid with a good straight and solid stock frame I'd rather upgrade it than do frame swaps that you probably won't be satisfied with.

The guys who do complete frame swaps on the passenger cars usually cut the doner car so that most of the firewall and all of the floorboards are left and then set the body of the car they are building down over that floorboard and frame and after getting things aligned weld it up. This is how the late Dick Dean did all of the frame swaps he did on 49/51 Mercurys. It amounts to a lot of cutting, a lot of fitting and a lot of welding but if it goes right you get a car with a complete later model chassis that sits right and drives great.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote