The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
8door
Not too old to learn

Going to switch gears

I am considering a new project . I want to start a search for an Advanced|Design ( 1947-1955 ) and would like to go withsome of the following:
1. I6 and maybe breath on it a little.
2.700r trans .What are the problems, if any hooking up to the engine
3.What Rear end would work best.
4.Disk conversions without redoing the whole front end? Maybe with a slight front drop axle.
There are differences between the years that I am a little familiar with, but not all ,so what would be a good source that gives info on frames and changes made by factory year by year.
Kinda like the divided front windshield so will stick to 47 to 53. But ya never know.
I'm finishing a 68 C10 and will move it down the road to fund the new one. Sound familiar?
I live in SoCal and would like to see some projects under way. I missed the Brothers Show any others coming up?
Thanks very much for any advice .
Old 07-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
robin58

Re: Going to switch gears

Front disc conversions are easy to find as nearly every aftermarket source selling for our trucks has them in both 6 lug and 4.75" 5 lug versions. You can either buy in complete kit form, or if you want to save yourself some $$$ just buy the brackets, the upgraded bearings and then get the balance from your FLAPS (mostly they use 70-77 Camaro rotors and calipers). You'll want to upgrade to powerbrakes though.

Drop axles are a personal thing. Some like the aftermarket tubular style. Personally I'd rather have a reputable person drop a stock one.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
8door
Not too old to learn

Thanks for the disc brake tip.
The reason for front drop axle of course is to lower front without a full conversion to IFS.
Hope anyone else has info on my other questions.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

get an 8.5" 10-bolt from a camaro or nova, or a 4x4 s10 for the rear, and get the front brakes in a 4.75" pattern so all the bolt patterns will match.

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
robin58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8door View Post
The reason for front drop axle of course is to lower front without a full conversion to IFS.
I understood that. What I was referring to is most of the aftermarket sources sell a tubular welded design 3" drop axle. I don't really like them. There's a wealth of capable people who will do a safe and nice job on your current stock axle (there's quite a few threads with references to people doing such work on this site). If you do go with the aftermarket one you'll need different kingpins though.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote