The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Unhappy Bodywork blues

I am getting a little down about my blazer lately and have kind of run into a brick wall. I have always considered myself a pretty decent mechanic. I have been working on “junk” like this for the last 20 years or so and can do almost anything as far as electical and mechanical are concerned. My weak point is undoubtedly bodywork. In the past I never really worried about it. I would either bolt on a new piece of sheet metal or get someone to put on a cheap paintjob and not worry about the little imperfections. On my Blazer though, I want to do things right. I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. My rockers and parts of my floor need to be replaced but I am a little hesitant. I am not the fastest worker in the world and like to take my time and think things through. I don’t have a shop or closed in garage to do this and I hate to leave the ol girl torn apart out in the elements for a few weeks. I WANT to do all of this myself, even the actual paint job if I could find the means to do it but I hate to practice on something that I want to turn out nice. There are SOOOO many things that I want and could do to the Blazer if I could get past the bodywork and get some fresh paint on it. Anyway, sorry to bore y’all with my troubles, I just needed to get it off my chest and I know that a lot of you guys can relate in some form or another.

I think I need to get a part time job at a body shop for a little experience!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
BLUE THUNDER

Re: Bodywork blues

Dude, take it from someone who sees this stuff everyday, it really isn't that hard. I know seing is one thing and doing is another, but it really isnt that bad. I've seen worse put back together and look awesome. The only thing you need to ask yourself is how far you really want to go. If all you want to put some paint on, then fix the little areas and shoot it. Otherwise, go all the way. BTW, don't tear it apart until we've gotten to cruise around town this summer. Speaking of cruising, when(if) you're in town this weekend come on over so we can work on the electrical on Ol Yeller so I can fire it up. I am so close, I just need help on the wiring/timing. If you get a chance come on over, the food is on me. BTW I'm at I10 and DeZavala. Back to your dilema, I know some great bodymen that are always looking for side work. Just gimme a shout. At the very least, they can look at it. Hell, i'll look at it and tell you what you need. Later, Mario
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
jorgensensc

I feel your pain. I spent a good three hours laying in bed last night with my mind churning on what all I should do to the truck. Part of me just wants (needs) to get the truck back together. the other part says, well if the front clip is all off, why don't you shave the firewall. THen I think, well now your orange engine with all flat black accessories won't match since I'm painting the truck red now. i should pull the engine and paint the block black, then the accessories red. Or should I paint the block red and chrome or aluminum accessories? As you can see, it was a long night last night. And I still don't know what to do. I think I'll just primer the whole thing and leave it alone. Good luck man, stick to it. You will get to the end..eventually.
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I am getting a little down about my blazer lately and have kind of run into a brick wall. I have always considered myself a pretty decent mechanic. I have been working on “junk” like this for the last 20 years or so and can do almost anything as far as electical and mechanical are concerned. My weak point is undoubtedly bodywork. In the past I never really worried about it. I would either bolt on a new piece of sheet metal or get someone to put on a cheap paintjob and not worry about the little imperfections. On my Blazer though, I want to do things right. I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. My rockers and parts of my floor need to be replaced but I am a little hesitant. I am not the fastest worker in the world and like to take my time and think things through. I don’t have a shop or closed in garage to do this and I hate to leave the ol girl torn apart out in the elements for a few weeks. I WANT to do all of this myself, even the actual paint job if I could find the means to do it but I hate to practice on something that I want to turn out nice. There are SOOOO many things that I want and could do to the Blazer if I could get past the bodywork and get some fresh paint on it. Anyway, sorry to bore y’all with my troubles, I just needed to get it off my chest and I know that a lot of you guys can relate in some form or another.

I think I need to get a part time job at a body shop for a little experience!

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

When I tore my 69 K20 apart I decided I'd take on the task of painting it. First step was disassembly which was no problem. Then I started working on sanding the body. The more I got into it the quicker I decided that I just didn't have the time to take on the painting aspect. Like you, I wanted it done right and I just didn't want this to be my first attempt and screw it up and have to have it done again. I think it was the right decision for me at that time (heck even now it would be the right decision).

Nothing wrong with handing off parts of the project that are over your head or just something you don't want to tackle.

I did the complete reassembly after having a nightmare experience with the painter, so I was still very involved in the paint process.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Many of us here are in exactly the same boat. I am a pretty good welder, as long as it's plate, pipe and not thin sheetmetal. I've tried, I suck at it. I have had the satisfaction of working on just about all other parts of my trucks and look forward to handing over my sheetmetal work to someone I know can do it, do it right, and save me the frustration and expense of messing things up. I will still be involved with the body work, sanding, maybe even working on some dents, but not the welding and cutting. I'm not going to spend thousands painting something that just ain't right.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
vtblazer

Your biggest hurdle that I can see is the fact that your a fresh air kid, fact is that it's going to take time.

You can do it but having the capacity to take your time will be huge.
Find or rent some sort of storage/garage near you and go to work on it.

Two thing's to think about here.
1) Be careful what you wish for (pics 1 & 2) and
2) Anything is possible. (pics 3 & 4)
Attached Images

Last edited by vtblazer; 07-17-2008 at 12:30 PM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Your biggest hurdle that I can see is the fact that your a fresh air kid, fact is that it's going to take time.

You can do it but having the capacity to take your time will be huge.
Find or rent some sort of storage/garage near you and go to work on it.

Two thing's to think about here.
1) Be careful what you wish for (pics 1 & 2) and
2) Anything is possible. (pics 3 & 4)
I'll be dropping mine off this weekend there VT. You do great work.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I had never done floors before ... so i just bought some tools got a cab repair dvd and went for ti... It aint no perfect job but for my 1st it aint bad... Just do it its only metal you can glue it back together aiagn..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Thanks guys. I know I will eventually tear into it, I am just a little nervous and also lacking some of the resources that I would like to have. Maybe I will make some progress this winter.

Sorry I didn't get back to you Mario, I took off to Amistad Lake for a three day weekend. It was fun other than having 3 blowouts on the boat trailer!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
BLUE THUNDER

It's cool dude. The lake sounds like a much better idea. I'll be working on it on Saturday if your free. I think i should be able to fire it up this weekend. Let me know if you can swing by. Later, Mario.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote