The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Some 66 GMC questions

Hey guys, I'm over in this section from my usual haunt in the 73-87 section. I have a few questions for yall. If you wouldn't mind answering, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm looking to trade my 69 Chevelle (pics here)for a 66 GMC (craigslist ad here). I've kind of lost interest in the Chevelle, and have always liked the 60-66 style GM trucks. The GMC is a 6 cylinder with 6 lug wheels and leafs. I would rather have had 5 lugs, a V8, and coils all the way around. I do have a 78 Chevy SWB sitting around with a V8, TH350, disc front, 5 lugs front and rear, and what I think is a frame problem.

Questions -
  1. Does all the suspension and driveline stuff transfer over to the 66 from the 78? If I can bolt in my front discs and my rear end, this might not be a bad idea. If I can't, it would be a deal killer. I saw the disc conversion sticky at the top, so it looks like the fronts should work (if my reading comprehension hasn't failed me) but what about the rearend?
  2. I don't mind the surface rust, but the floorpans have two "half dollar" holes that need fixing, along with a driver's rocker and cab corner. There's also some rust on the door so that it's separated from the outer skin. Who makes patches and parts for these years? I would assume Brothers, but yall would probably know someplace better.
  3. Am I completely crazy for considering this trade?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
joe231

Re: Some 66 GMC questions

1. the front stuff will definitely work, there are several ways to do it, one would be the entire front cross member, two would be swapping the arms out, and you can use all the newer steering stuff just need a Rez power steering conversion kit. here is the LINKY you would need to drill 2 holes to use the newer idler. pretty easy stuff and you gain the sway bar.
the rear will work, might have to move the leaf spring perches, (don't know that for sure, someone on here should) and the newer diff is a bit wider
the engine and trans swap is pretty straight forward and simple, if that isn't a 292 in it now, you can use the engine towers and you could buy a tranny cross member or adapt the one from the donor, and possibly adapt the 3 speed one
2. there are many repair panels ect out there here is a LINKY
as you can see I prefer Classic Parts, they have reasonable, fast shipping, excellent quality (can't speak for the patches yet) and about the best prices I have found
3. I don't think you are crazy, it love the Chevelles, but I wouldn't take for our '66.
Welcome to this side of the site and good luck getting the truck. There are tons of people on here willing to help anyway they can

Last edited by joe231; 07-24-2008 at 11:37 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Thanks for the info, Joe. I'm really on the fence about the trade, but at least both parties seem interested.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
joe231

no problem,
to me it is a no-brainer for the trade, you have everything you need to make this truck a nice driver, and if the floors aren't that bad you can make your own patches, i know it is easy for me to say being on the outside looking in, just my 2 cents
Old 07-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Well, I am weighting the responses a little since I realize this is a 60-66 board and not a Chevelle board. One of the things I'm struggling with is the price of this generation trucks, since there's not a lot around here to compare with.

Is there anyplace that reproduces the chrome GMC grill?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
joe231

yeah some of us are half a bubble off plum over here
no GMC re-pops as far as i know, the factory grills can also be a challenge to find
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Well, there's one mark in the cons column then. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
joe231

if that one is straight you could get it chromed or powder coated, there is a chrome like powder that looks somewhat like polished aluminum
Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

OK, so here's the things I've learned from both this thread and browsing other threads. Correct me if I'm wrong and add to it if there's something I've missed.

1.) You can't get chrome repro grills of anything except the single light chevy for 60-66

2.) Fleetside bedsides aren't available for 60-66 in the aftermarket

3.) Front 5-lug conversions are pretty much bolt ins from later trucks or aftermarket disc kits

4.) Rear 5-lug conversions are rearend swaps or axle redrilling or new axles from ECE

5.) Nobody really makes leaf lowering kits for the rears, if so equipped.

OK, none of this means that I have a problem with fabbing something up, but I want to make sure I know what's readily available. One of the points to this whole trade is to get something not as common as I have now.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Anthony Fremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthewabbit View Post
OK, so here's the things I've learned from both this thread and browsing other threads. Correct me if I'm wrong and add to it if there's something I've missed.
5.) Nobody really makes leaf lowering kits for the rears, if so equipped.
I don't think this is true. I believe a "flip kit" is what you would want. This places the axle on top of the leaf instead of under it. This really drops it quite a bit, you would need to notch the frame or maybe use longer shackles on the rear of the leafs to raise it back up a little.
'97 1200C Sportster
Anthony Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Right. I know a few places make specific flip kits for 73-87s. Does anyone make kits specific to 60-66 leaf applications?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #12
Anthony Fremont

McGaughy's makes this, but it doesn't seem like everything you'd need:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Anthony Fremont

Seems like you'd need this too:
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...tfamilyid=3339
'97 1200C Sportster
Old 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
joe231

fleet side re-pops are due out next year I believe, don't know about leaf spring lowering specific to these, but I believe Anthony is right
everything else is correct to the best of my knowledge
Old 07-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Thanks for the info, Anthony. Knowing they're available is a big plus.

Who's going to be repop-ing the bedsides, Joe? I hadn't heard that.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
justcuz

I have 4 Chevelles and I like them all. However mine are 68's and 1 72. The 69 is my least favorite body style, because you lose the vent windows, the tailights are not my favorite and the grille is plastic. My 72 is a wagon so it still has vent windows and for the record I like my wagons better than the coupes (112 vs.116 wb). The smallest person in my family is my wife @ 5'7". The wagons are more fun as a family. My interest is turning away from pickups to Suburbans (thinking of the future of family growth). GMC's are unique because of the rear leaf availability, the dana 44 and the 4 headlight grille into the late 60's. Lots of stuff between Chevy and GMC interchanges and if it was me I'd go for the truck. Two simple reasons, the truck is stronger and safer and replacement parts are less expensive than the Chevelle, especially considering the upgradeability of drivetrain parts and suspension pieces (read wrecking yard parts) right up to the 87's.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Just wanted to update everyone. I went over to my buddy's shop to fire up the Chevelle and make sure it's still in working order. After I fired it up and heard it running, I ended up deciding I couldn't sell it. I love that car, imperfect as though it may be.

I really wanted to respond to say thanks for all the help. I love this style truck and really wanted to know the "gotchas" to owning one from this generation. I got all I asked for and more. I expected the best info around from the members of this board, and yall delivered. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #18
joe231

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Anthony. Knowing they're available is a big plus.

Who's going to be repop-ing the bedsides, Joe? I hadn't heard that.
apparently 62 short step talked to a guy who sells body stuff on ebay, that is what he said, not sure if it was set in stone or which company, and they are gonna be quite spendy

Quote:
Just wanted to update everyone. I went over to my buddy's shop to fire up the Chevelle and make sure it's still in working order. After I fired it up and heard it running, I ended up deciding I couldn't sell it. I love that car, imperfect as though it may be.

I really wanted to respond to say thanks for all the help. I love this style truck and really wanted to know the "gotchas" to owning one from this generation. I got all I asked for and more. I expected the best info around from the members of this board, and yall delivered. Thanks for the info.

glad we could help, sorry you couldn't see your way over to the dark side
good luck on the chevelle