The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #51
70rs/ss

Re: Waking up my 350 SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude View Post
Hey 70...did you read that when the heads were pulled off and that the low compression dished pistons were found and I then bought a brand new rebuilt 3970010 short block lower...w/ new SRP flat top pistons, a forged crank, h beam rods...all the trick stuff from Smith Racing???????? So....the bottom isn't UNKNOWN!!!! And you said I "asked"??? I.... never asked what people thought...I just posted what I was doing. Opinions came flying in like homing pidgions.

Yes TKO 600 is going in the BBC truck. Get that back better buddy!!!! Split bumper 70 rs/ss Camaro????
Yeah, that's why I went back and added the second post, sorry. I read cdowns' response and your's to his and I hit respond without reading the whole thing (thread), so I got ahead of myself and didn't see all of the other info you posted after, again I am sorry for that. I was thinking through the build in my mind and what could/might happen, that is why I stated the stuff about the unknown short block. I was also off on the asking part, I just figured putting it out there was "asking" for opinions? I am with you, I keep most of my mechanical (motors/tuning, etc) to myself since some cannot contain their attitudes. It happens a lot on the engine drivetrain forum, try to help someone and some know it all comes along and has to discredit your thoughts in order to prove his know-it-all status. I am sorry for any confusion or bad feelings I may have caused with my comments. I for one appreciate you taking the time to show us what you've done as we can all learn something from it. All in all this is a great learning lesson for a guy wanting to bolt on perf stuff to a unknown SBC, I have learned this very lesson by doing what you did, maybe this will help a guy to see he needs to know what he has before moving on. I as you did, ended up with another motor, which I think for both of us was OK cause we want/wanted the power increase and also know that sometimes you have to spend $$$ to get it.

Kuddos to you for putting yourself (motor builds, truck builds, etc, etc) out there for us to see, and I appolagize if my or other members' comment's have made you wish you hadn't?

On the other, yeah, split bumper 70 (70 1/2 if you will) RS/SS Camaro. Can't wait to see more picts of the overkill, I think you'll be happy with the TKO, everything I have read on it says it is a great trans as well as having several conversations with the guys at Kiesler and classic five speed. I have no doubt it'll work for me, as they have a kit for my application, and in your truck you'll be able to buy the trans and a few other pieces and save some $$$ as the truck will accept it without a lot of specialty parts as in my case. Good luck and keep up the good fight, and don't let the negatives get to ya.

Mike
Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #52
ChevyDude

Absolutely no worries 70rs/ss (Mike), you never caused any bad feelings, none! I couldn't agree more, that one really does need to ID heads and pistons before throwing in a big Cam and or other performance components...... I did, ID, everything before doing anything....LOL!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-23-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #53
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
Hey Chevydude what heads are you using?I saw that you bought a new short block,what displacement is it?
350 cubic inches, Aluminum 202/160 64cc 190cc intake runners

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #54
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

You need to post pics like I do Here's one of my blower motor!!! Bob
Attached Images

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #55
ChevyDude

Nice blower motor Bob!!! OK , decided on my heads. Lots of choices in the SBC aluminum head market. AFR would have been my first choice but I can't afford them, LOL.... ProComp's are on the other end of the scale and even though I think they have revised their heads and cleaned them up a bunch, I just couldn't get myself to buy the China heads. After a lot of reading and counting my pennies, I bought a set of complete Patriot heads that are made in Alabama and have cnc porting. 2.02 1.60 64cc chambers and 190cc intake runners. The pair was $845.00 delivered.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #56
Lemield

Alex.....

HOLY CRAP! Red is gonna be FAST! She already looks like she is going fast when she is parked!

Love that red truck!

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #57
steelhorse

That sound like a killer deal,might have to look into them
Old 07-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #58
ChevyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemield View Post
Alex.....

HOLY CRAP! Red is gonna be FAST! She already looks like she is going fast when she is parked!

Love that red truck!
LOL, and Thanks Larry. She should have some scoot to her for sure. Most important, the trans will match the engine.

I should have the heads next week some time. Then I am going to buy a Holley 4150 750 cfm DP w/ mechanical secondaries and with NO choke, even if anyone thinks my plan is a mess or mis-guided.

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-25-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #59
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Nice Heads !! Looks like your plan is on track and ready to scream !!!

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Old 07-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #60
whatnow123

Quote:
She should have some scoot to her for sure. Most important, the trans will match the engine.
I'm glad everything got sorted out.

Anyway, this is very close to what I'm running and no doubt it will scoot right along!

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
Old 07-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #61
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Another good 'Bama product is ACC torque converters. I have used B&M, TCI, and JW in the past, but I have used ACC's for the last 8 years, and I have had nothing but good luck out them. I have a 4000 RPM 10" converter with fully welded fins and an anti-ballooning in my '82 Z28 that I have been running behind a very healthy 383 for years now. My car is a street car and it weighs 3300# with me in it and it runs high 10's on motor. It cost me hundreds less than a big brand converter. I have used several of their 2500 - 3000's in mild street set-ups as well. I highly recommend them.

http://www.accperformance.com/
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #62
ChevyDude

A lot of reading and a lot of: Research...The Patriot head is a great bang for the buck Aluminum head, well made and made here in the USA.

Web site: https://www.patriot-performance.com/...&cat=40&page=1

If you look on ebay you can find some good sellers that sell them new a little less expensive. White Performance has a deal on them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...256552111&rd=1

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-26-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #63
Gray Ghost

Quote:
Hey Dude you have absolutely no idea what you are taking about, period. This package is has been matched and put together by Smith Racing of Denver, whom has done numerous winning engines. Seems a bit out of line for you to tell me my plan has been poorly thought out after many hours of disussing what we should do with the owner Tom Smith, when you know NOTHING of what has been dicussed.... but whatever Cdowns. and cdowns...heads were ID'd long before you spoke up and they are lousy heads for making power...that's why I said new aluminum heads were being purchased. Your negitive comment is out of line, and adds nothing positive to this board!

I did not post what I was doing to get a cheap shot from someone, seems kinda F'd up....don't ya think??? I will probably delete this whole post if it goes on a negitive pissing match route, as I cannot stand some idiot spouting off like this when he knows nothing of what has been discussed...it pisses me off and truly I do not come to this board to share info only to get slammed by someone like cdowns.

Trans is a 500 hp rated 700R4 built by Monster Motor Sports...It has a 2500 Stall convertor, because when I bought the truck the PO told me the engine had been rebuilt and was near 400 hp....he lied!!!! So to leave it as it is, nothing is matched up as I had the trans built thinking the engine was 400 hp.

This truck is not a daily driver, nowhere near. This truck is a HOT ROD, and when I want the secondaries open ...I step on the pedal...and do not have to wait for vaccuum.
Amen....I've seen tons of trucks running very similar combos and working well I might add. Plenty of folks run DPs on the street as well.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #64
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Plenty of folks run DPs on the street as well.
Plenty of folks will defend the use of "welded spiders" or "spools" on the street too........It still doesn't make it right.

There are plenty of "old school way of thinking" things that guys are willing to "deal-with" or "tune-around", but there are also plenty of new guys out there reading the stuff on this board, who don't need the confusion.
A whole lot of "old school" things were done because that was all there was available, or the technology hadn't been developed yet.
I have no issue at all with old school looks/style, but I am not willing to ignore the better stuff that has come along since.

Performance, safety, and fuel economy are all better today because of improvements to the old way. I'm not saying that everything that is new is better...some of the oldler/simpler ways have advantages too.....But "racing stuff" is just that, it does not automatically translate to street driving. Sure some do it....but it doesn't make it right.

Non vacuum-advance distributors
Tiny racing convertors
Non DOT tires
Dominators
Trans brakes
Tunnel rams
Spools
Nitrous Oxide
Blah
Blah
Blah.....

(staff comment)
Keep it civil, there was plenty of negativity (personal) in this thread, there is no need for that at all. Dis-agree....fine, no name calling or personal slamming...and please quit "quoting" the old bad stuff and bringing it back up.
I re-opend this thread because I believe that there is good information available, please don't make that into a mistake...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #65
ChevyDude

Thanks Gray Ghost! Thanks whatnow123!

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-26-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #66
Gray Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Plenty of folks will defend the use of "welded spiders" or "spools" on the street too........It still doesn't make it right.

There are plenty of "old school way of thinking" things that guys are willing to "deal-with" or "tune-around", but there are also plenty of new guys out there reading the stuff on this board, who don't need the confusion.
A whole lot of "old school" things were done because that was all there was available, or the technology hadn't been developed yet.
I have no issue at all with old school looks/style, but I am not willing to ignore the better stuff that has come along since.

Performance, safety, and fuel economy are all better today because of improvements to the old way. I'm not saying that everything that is new is better...some of the oldler/simpler ways have advantages too.....But "racing stuff" is just that, it does not automatically translate to street driving. Sure some do it....but it doesn't make it right.

Non vacuum-advance distributors
Tiny racing convertors
Non DOT tires
Dominators
Trans brakes
Tunnel rams
Spools
Nitrous Oxide
Blah
Blah
Blah.....

(staff comment)
Keep it civil, there was plenty of negativity (personal) in this thread, there is no need for that at all. Dis-agree....fine, no name calling or personal slamming...and please quit "quoting" the old bad stuff and bringing it back up.
I re-opend this thread because I believe that there is good information available, please don't make that into a mistake...
About the quote, point taken.

About my other statement, I said nothing about old school. There's nothing wrong with a double pumper on a vehicle that isn't daily driven...especially when that same vehicle might run down the 1320 every once in awhile. 'Doesn't make it right for everyone' surely does apply here and I hope most of us have the common sense to know that when we read things like this in a forum.

Just for the record, I am not exactly all old school. I am adding TPI to the small block and another fuelie system to my big block, which should be here at the house in a few days.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-26-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #67
ChevyDude

Hey Longhair...that isn't "Bad stuff" that Gray Ghost quoted...that is just me telling someone that they Do Not Know what they are talking about... and rightfully so. JMHO.

The person that started the Negitivity...blasted his post out there and vanished leaving his turd comment on the thread.

Kinda like the Drive by media...and to quote Rush... "They drive by, they shoot things up, they get in the convertable and drive off...leaving a big mess, for me to clean up", Rush Limbaugh

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-27-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #68
LONGHAIR

Quotes like "you do not know what you are talking about, period" are purely troublesome/irritating. They will almost always get a defensive response...and the thread goes south, for everyone.
The "who started it" is irrelevant....the idea is to "report" the thread and have the moderators deal with it. Ignore that negative comments and continue with the discussion as if it is not there....the post can be deleted, but once it gets "quoted" (carried along) and refuted/dis-credited a few times, there is a huge mess that is more likely to get locked and fade away, rather than "cleaning up" a bunch of posts.

I hope this makes sense?

Copied from the rules:

Quote:
III. No pissing matches. Its fine to disagree, but once a thread has run its course, and degenerated into little more than an insult fest, it will be locked. While this will require a judgment call by the Administrators & Moderators. The members of this site can keep our moderating to a minimum by exercising a little discretion and self- control. Excessive profanity will lead to a 24 hour suspension at the Administrations discretion.
IV. Pure trolling, either to upset someone or simply for your personal
enjoyment, is strictly prohibited. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay. Immediate BAN and you will be reported to your ISP.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #69
ChevyDude

Fine and dandy LongHair...But to say My response to cdowns is troublesome/irritating.....Wow, Im supposed to take his negitive vile.....What about his original Statement: All in all your plan is a poorly thought out one? When he has no knowledge of my plan.

Seems like his statement is just what the rules state:

IV. Pure trolling, either to upset someone or simply for your personal
enjoyment, is strictly prohibited. If you're here to cause trouble, it will be a very short stay. Immediate BAN and you will be reported to your ISP.

Last edited by ChevyDude; 07-27-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #70
LONGHAIR

In a word......yes.

I copied the rules....plain and simple, do not continue the bad "debate". It really makes no difference who is right or wrong (much of this is purely opinion anyway)...the real wrong comes from perpetuating it.

Take it, report it, it will be dealt with......

Now you got it locked for good.
Closed Thread