The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
randomhero472

What shocks for bolt in bags-front/rear??

Searched, but didnt find what i'm looking for... I'm running re7's all four corners, SD cups (not cut) up front and cpp bolt in notch in rear, also using cpp shock relocator in rear, front shock mounts in stock location. Can somebody tell me what shocks i could use, not looking for anything fancy, i just want something thats not going to really limit travel both ways when airing up-down. Or anyone tell me what length shock-shock body i could use and i can just go down to my local auto parts store.... thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: What shocks for bolt in bags-front/rear??

You will not find a shock that will not limit your lift/dump height(without modifying your mounts). You can use Monroe 33033s up front and with relocators and 2" lowering blocks, you should be able to use stock length shocks out back- 32301s- I think.

These are the same Monroes that ART ships with their kits for twice the price. I found them at Pep Boys for $19.99 each. Your dump will not be affected and what lift you do lose is unusable IMO...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
randomhero472

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
You will not find a shock that will not limit your lift/dump height(without modifying your mounts). You can use Monroe 33033s up front and with relocators and 2" lowering blocks, you should be able to use stock length shocks out back- 32301s- I think.

These are the same Monroes that ART ships with their kits for twice the price. I found them at Pep Boys for $19.99 each. Your dump will not be affected and what lift you do lose is unusable IMO...
I have the shocks that come w/the cpp 3/4" delux kit, and they have room left compression wise, but extention they top out about an inch or so before the truck gets some decent air pressure in the bags. Thanks for the heads up, i'll hit up pep boys tomorrow
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

The condition you have, IMO, is a good thing. Your dumped height is not limited and your lift height is only slightly limited. By limiting your lift you are also limiting how much the bags are stretched when jacking up the truck or putting it on a lift.

When the suspension is in full droop, the weight tends to want to tear the bags apart. Not as much of a concern with Slams compared to other manufacturers, but a concern nonetheless...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 07-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
randomhero472

took a couple pics, the shock has another inch-two left in the compression stroke, and the front bags still dont have all that much air in them, however these pics are w/the front wheels off the ground, so maybe the lift is maxed out.. any thoughts gringo or anyone else?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
joe231

What part of Ok are you in?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Looks like you can trim a little -maybe 3/4"- off your cups. That may solve your shock issues, as there is about a 1:2 ratio of cup cut:drop.

How much air is in the bags? They look fairly well extended in that pic to me. Remember, you will only have 60psi or so in the front bags at ride height.

Best thing to do is measure your compressed/extended lengths and find a matching shock. The numbers I mentioned before SHOULD work, but I would measure before buying. Monroe lists their specs online...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
randomhero472

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Looks like you can trim a little -maybe 3/4"- off your cups. That may solve your shock issues, as there is about a 1:2 ratio of cup cut:drop.

How much air is in the bags? They look fairly well extended in that pic to me. Remember, you will only have 60psi or so in the front bags at ride height.

Best thing to do is measure your compressed/extended lengths and find a matching shock. The numbers I mentioned before SHOULD work, but I would measure before buying. Monroe lists their specs online...
How much more drop can i get out of my truck by cutting the cups if i plan on retaining the stock fenderwells? i figured the thing would hit the inner fenders as it is now
Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
randomhero472

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
What part of Ok are you in?
edmond/deer creek, you know of any good paint-body shops around okc?

Last edited by randomhero472; 07-28-2008 at 10:23 PM.
randomhero472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero472 View Post
How much more drop can i get out of my truck by cutting the cups if i plan on retaining the stock fenderwells? i figured the thing would hit the inner fenders as it is now
It probably will when dumped. Trimming the cups will help optimize the amount of air in the bags at ride height. With tall cups and a low ride height, you may have very low pressure in the bags leading to poor ride quality.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)