The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
boomerce

Need help with voltage regulator replacement

Hello all,

I am looking for some help with the correct replacement of my voltage regulator. I bought a new VR and forward wiring harness from Classic Parts and when I went to install it I do not remember how it all goes in. What I am looking for is the placement of a ground wire and the correct placement of what looks like a capacitor. I have the rubber mounts but need to know where it will go? Does it go between the mount and frame or the mount and VR?

If anyone can help I would appreciate it greatly. If you have a photo that would even be better.

Thanks
boomerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
boomerce

Re: Need help with voltage regulator replacement

OK so I got it put together. Weather it is right or not I do not know. I started the beast and it took a bit to get going. It has been sitting for around two months. My amp meter is above the middle and my battery was bubbling after about 5 minutes of running. Am I over charging or could this just be from the battery being weak and needing a charge?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

You are probably overcharging. If you have a voltmeter you can tell. it should charge around 14 volts. If the regulator is not grounded it will cause this. There is a small hole in the side of the base. A metal screw goes in this hole with the ground wire.
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

If your field wire is grounded, it will make your alternator over-charge, incorrect grounds in the charging system can also cause over-charging.. Sounds like to me it is overcharging. Check the voltage across the battery posts while running, it should be 14.6 or there abouts. If it is more, then you are overcharging. Also at some point your gauge should return to the center (after the batt is charged)

There is only one way to install a voltage regulator...if you still have your original harness that is. It is a plug and play kind of thing.

I suppose what you are calling a capacitor is actually the condensor that is installed for noise cancellation.

BEATERS ARE NEATER

Last edited by Bus Ted Knuckle; 07-27-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
boomerce

Definitly overcharging. I am at about 17VDC. I have looked for the hole in the side like my old one but no luck so I just mounted the ground to the mounting bolt. I am gout to check again and I hope that I find it.

As for the condenser is there a place that it should go? Does that get grounded to the frame or is it mounted strait against the VR?
Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
lowriden58

Hope this helps! i just snapped a few pics of my 71

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
lowriden58

This one shows where the condenser is grounded to the VR.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
boomerce

Thanks. That is what mine looks like now. I am still charging at 16.7 so I am thinking I may have gotten a bad VR.
I have about had it fot today. Time to do some more searching and get a frosty cold beverage to contimplate my next move.

Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
boomerce

I went back over all of the wiring and all of the grounding points to no avail. It is all correct. The last thing that I could think of was that I recieved a bad regulator, but that is what it was. I took the new one out and reinstalled the old one. Good thing that I did not throw it away. After a little cleaning and the install I turned the key and presto it started. The volt meter jumped strait to 14.4 and held firm. So for now I will just keep the oldone in the truck and hope for the best. Now on to other things.

Thanks every body for the help.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

The new ones made in China are riveted together. American-made ones are secured with 1/4" screws and can be inspected internally. Not much to adjust anymore. [The original Delco Remy regulators had an adjuster screw on the back of one of the coils.]
I had to go cross town to the only NAPA left in Tucson just to get a US-made unit. Price difference is about $30 more for the domestic, but IMHO it's worth it.
I've tried to repair some burned out US made regulators by cleaning and filing down contacts and resoldering fried connections, but so far I have only been able to get them from No Charge to Low Charge.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote