The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
orange66fleet
Lowered in Cleveland

Unhappy Wife fed up with my projects, Need Help!

My wife does not share the same feelings about cars and trucks as I do. She tells me I always have some piece of junk that I am buying parts for and that it is a waste of time. She does not see the value in fixing these trucks up and she wants me to get rid of my newest truck. I am currently layed off and taking care of my 4 year old son. I also just finish the Fire Academy and will be taking EMT classes in Aug. In my spare time when not filling the needs of my family life, I work on the truck. I love to save money so I do everything myself, I only buy parts to replace the warnout ones. I do not recieve that much for unemployment and I buy all the groceries and whats left I get the parts I need. She does not want me to get a job because she believes that our son should not have to be raised by a babysitter or daycare, I do all the dishes, laundery, cleaning, running around, and lawn work, so what is the problem. Sorry for the drama, but you guys understand more than her about our hobby.
orange66fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: Wife fed up with my projects, Need Help!

Turn your passion for trucks into a money-making opportunity. With the internet, eBay, craigslist, swap meets and sites like this one, there are always fellow truck enthusiasts looking for parts. Use your time at home with your four year old son to buy/sell/trade truck parts...gather the things you need for your project and sell the others for a bit of income. If you are able to show your wife that you can make a little extra cash and support your hobby, she may be a little more understanding of your passion for trucks.

In any case, good luck with your situation and keep your chin up.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

I think the best way to deal with this is to find a local weekend car/truck show and just take a leisurely walk with her, and let her see the final results.

Just don’t go overboard with the technical descriptions and why this is that way and that is not - unless she asks. Sometimes, if ladies see their counterparts at a function like that they are more open to the idea of your long term project.

I take my girlfriend out to breakfast most weekends, where the local clubs meet and she’s really warmed up to me not spending every waking moment paying attention to her - and seeing me enjoy myself chewing the fat with the guys.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Anthony Fremont

I think she might have inadvertanly overlooked some things:
1) It's your hobby, everyone deserves one and it's not supposed to be profitable
2) My wife prefers that I get my "thrills" from putting my hands on my truck rather than another woman
3) Since the truck is incapable of leaving home, she knows where I am and what I'm doing
'97 1200C Sportster
Anthony Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
joe231

all good points above!
maybe you should narrow down to one project and complete (pipe dream I know) it so you can show her how you transformed an old piece of junk into a nice ride that she will want to take from you, also try to get her involved in some of the work, then she can share your sense of accomplishment, and pride.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
pquick

hey bud, i recently, (and currently) went through the same and more....it's all about the kids man...get your little one's involved and teach them the passion, patience, thought process of what you love.....they will take that info into what they love in life...as for chicks...get them involved i guess...show them the results, let them help on the things they like...interior maybe....then the project doesent become the "other woman"...chicks get jealous about the weirdest things...its all about the attention i think....your doing it all right as i see it, good luck man...kids are the greatest.....
pquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Life is a never-ending battle of arranging your priorities.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
joe231

Thumbs up Re: Wife fed up with my projects, Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T View Post
well said
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
msgross

Quote:
yep, if the money isn't there then don't push it. With the economy the way it is I would be saving every dime I could in your situation.

I also agree with the points about making your hobby pay for itself. I get a monthly allowance for my "slush fund" we'll call it. When I buy/find $100 in parts and sell it for $300-$500 then I use the profit to put money in the truck. THis goes from junkyards, craigslist and this site.

Just be sure to keep the other half happy while still maintaining your toys. It's a careful balance that you always need to juggle. Enjoy the times with your kids, I see mine for two hours every night and on the weekends. Doesn't leave much time for the hobbies sometimes....

Good luck

oh yeah, my wife made me get my own checking account for the truck, it keeps the hobby money away from our house budget. paypal also goes in and out of it...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Woogeroo

Thumbs up Re: Wife fed up with my projects, Need Help!

Quote:
I like that one Fred T.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote