The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
lks dcvn

Motor Swap done over the past weekend - now ?

Over the weekend I yanked the 350/TH400 from the 67 truck in my fleet and installed it in the 70 LWB project that I am building for my Dad.

It was my first time doing an engine/trans pull - and it wasn't too bad just took a LOT longer than I anticipated due to not knowing what to be aware of...and having plenty of stuck bolts, issues along the way. Also - I had to clean about 1/2 to 3/4" of tar, sand, mud, dirt off the trans when I got it out - that took about an hour - and what a mess - my driveway had seen better days.

Now - I have a few questions...

Both trucks are autos and both trucks are LWB...the PO of the 70 LWB used some hacked up motor mount towers and mounts and I replaced them with stock V8 towers and motor mounts.

I used the V8 mount location (front most bolt location on the frame) and also looked under the donor truck to determine placement for the trans xmember (on the recipient truck) and moved it accordingly. At the current time, the engine in bolted on the towers (not tightened down) and the trans is resting on the auto xmember (bolt holes are lined up with the channels).

Now - I can't get the TH400 trans linkage to hook up - it is close - but not there yet...is there a trick to this?

The donor truck has the linkage support arm with 1 peg (portion that attaches to the frame) on it still and I can remove that if need be to get this working...

The truck with the transplanted engine (recipient) has a linkage support arm with two pegs...and I have no idea what trans was in it before...it looks like the linkage is about an inch or so away from where it needs to be...the trans xmember was channeled by the PO so I can slide the trans back a bit - but - with the motor mounts already in (and loose at the moment) - I can't slide it back that much - if at all.

Also - I still need to grab the driveshaft from the donor truck and transplant that over - since it doesn't look like the one in the other truck will reach...but maybe if I can get the trans linkage lined up the rest will work...

Anybody have any idea as to what to try to get the trans linkage lined up? When looking at the arms (donor vs recipient) there is a slight difference between the two of them.

As always - I will post pix later to show what I am talking about - I am at work now and I will be off tomorrow to try and wrap this up and get it running. Figured I would plant the seed so I could have the information for tomorrow when I get to working on it.

I am trying to get this done in the coming weekends...(fingers crossed).

Thanks in advance for your help everybody!
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Motor Swap done over the past weekend - now ?

[QUOTE=lks dcvn;2830393] Anybody have any idea as to what to try to get the trans linkage lined up? When looking at the arms (donor vs recipient) there is a slight difference between the two of them. QUOTE]

Don't know, but if there is a difference between the two, I'd be thinkin' a lot more about that....

My cuz and I pulled the 350/TH400 from my '69 last night. The linkage that you mention, if I understood you, is attached to the driver's side of the frame and is in line with the arm on the transmission....at least it was on my truck.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
lks dcvn

yup that is the one on the frame (linkage arm) - I will pull that from the donor truck tonight and see if I can get that swapped over tomorrow to the other frame.

I will take pix of them side by side to show the difference.

Hopefully it will be that easy -
Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
Now - I have a few questions...

Both trucks are autos and both trucks are LWB...the PO of the 70 LWB used some hacked up motor mount towers and mounts and I replaced them with stock V8 towers and motor mounts.

I was thinking the front holes are the BBC location, but how was it set up in the truck you pulled it from? (this wasn't the one with hacked mounts was it?) Anyways the rear holes with V8 mounts is where you want it I am pretty sure.

I used the V8 mount location (front most bolt location on the frame) and also looked under the donor truck to determine placement for the trans xmember (on the recipient truck) and moved it accordingly. At the current time, the engine in bolted on the towers (not tightened down) and the trans is resting on the auto xmember (bolt holes are lined up with the channels).

Now - I can't get the TH400 trans linkage to hook up - it is close - but not there yet...is there a trick to this?

How far off and which way?? If you do like I suggest up above, would this line it up?? If not the other truck may have had a 350 and the 400 linkage is supposed to be different? Pict of both pieces would be cool, but again in the rear holes (SBC location) the trans linkage might line up? Also the 400 and 350 are different lengths as well.

The donor truck has the linkage support arm with 1 peg (portion that attaches to the frame) on it still and I can remove that if need be to get this working...

This also sounds like maybe a 73 and up auto linkage as well?? PICTS PLEASE??

The truck with the transplanted engine (recipient) has a linkage support arm with two pegs...and I have no idea what trans was in it before...it looks like the linkage is about an inch or so away from where it needs to be...the trans xmember was channeled by the PO so I can slide the trans back a bit - but - with the motor mounts already in (and loose at the moment) - I can't slide it back that much - if at all.

Also - I still need to grab the driveshaft from the donor truck and transplant that over - since it doesn't look like the one in the other truck will reach...but maybe if I can get the trans linkage lined up the rest will work...

TH400 takes a different yoke so use the DS from the donor. In fact, use as much of the donor truck as possible, because it will help fitment issues as a 400 is different that the 350 in a few ways.

Anybody have any idea as to what to try to get the trans linkage lined up? When looking at the arms (donor vs recipient) there is a slight difference between the two of them.

As always - I will post pix later to show what I am talking about - I am at work now and I will be off tomorrow to try and wrap this up and get it running. Figured I would plant the seed so I could have the information for tomorrow when I get to working on it.

I am trying to get this done in the coming weekends...(fingers crossed).

Thanks in advance for your help everybody!
Sounds like you are on the home stretch, cool of you to do a build for your dad, has me thinking. I rolled in a 67-72 truck before they were chic', well they were cool when they were new, but not chic'. Anyways, I bet my old man would pop a vien if I rolled up in a 67-72 for him. I have enough parts/pieces and vehicles, hum?? lks dcvn wanna fly out to AZ and drive a vehicle to my dad's place in OH?? I could fill it with AZ sheetmetal for your trouble?? I wouldn't be able to do it any time soon, but I may do it, he isn't getting any younger 66 ain't old is it?!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
lks dcvn

Mike - I would do it in a heartbeat if you could guarantee the thing would make it to Ohio...that would make for an awesome story...and a memorable trip. I would fly out if you would pay for my gas to get back.

My Dad has borrowed my truck on several occasions and I figured I would find him one and build it. I have asked him over the course of a year what kind of truck he would like and he has given his input - just doesn't know I am building it. I found a project in decent condition and started gathering parts for a build. Still don't have a 71/72 front clip (his choice) - but I have a 69/70 that I will install until I find a decent 71/72 one to change over.

He (my Dad) will be 59 this year on his birthday (November) and I wanted to give him something that links us and his past together. I know he will use it and I hope he will appreciate it. I have been picking up parts for it since last year piecing it together for him. He doesn't know that I am building him a truck yet. If I don't get it done (things happen) - I will store it for the winter and work on it then and give it to him in the spring next year.

Here are the pix that I took on Sunday...didn't have time to get pix when I got home or after the transplant yet.

The truck on the left is the project and the one on the right is the donor for this project...

Picture 1 shows the night before as I prepared them for the transplant.
Picture 2 shows the removal of the front clip of the donor.
Picture 3 shows the engine/trans out - ready for cleaning.
Picture 4 shows the grime I had to deal with on the trans - THICK!
Picture 5 shows the donor truck afterward.

More pix will follow tomorrow as I dragged the truck back into the driveway tonight to try and finish this thing up tomorrow and over the weekend...
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

cool project.. nice of you to build your dad a truck...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
lks dcvn

I took pix of the linkage off the truck to show the differences - I will post them later today...

Linkage is on, trans shifts in each gear, and the drive shaft is installed...

I installed everything and wondered why it wouldn't go into L1 and L2 - until I realized the column arm was adjustable - never had to touch it before - it always just worked...learned something new today.

Need to get replacement hoses, clamps, belts, etc. and pick up some trans fluid...we are getting there!

Moving on to the next part- I really need to start a build thread to document the progress - I am learning as I go here - I have learned a LOT on this one.

Thanks everybody!