The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
garold99

Rear Brakes question

Drum brakes. I posted a while back about my rear end making a noise when moving forwards. Sounded like rubbing/grinding sort of. Well my truck feels like the emergency brake is on all the time. When you let off the gas it starts to slow faster than normal, and when you go to take off its like the truck has to work extra for it to move.

Anyhow, before this happened I let my bro in law put new brakes on for me because they was needing some extra cash. So while I was at it I had new drums put on also.

Now back to the brakes. I just put the truck up on the jacks and stuck it in neutral. The passanger side tire turns freely, but the drivers side feels like someone is holding the brakes down. I can move it, but its very hard to move. Shouldn't both tires move freely with the truck in neutral?

Im fixing to pull the tires off now and look at it, but just wanted to post this first. Also I plan no taking pictures to post and see if maybe he put the driver side brake together wrong. Maybe he just tightend them too much?
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
garold99

Re: Rear Brakes question

I forgot to mention that I dont have an emergency brake on this truck. The cables were cut so it has never worked.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
garold99

Ok, I took the tires off and pulled the drums off. The drivers side was a little tight, but wasnt real hard to pull off with a little wiggling. The passanger side slid right off, almost fell off. The tire was harder to pull of because I had to bang it with my fist some.

Anyhow, I spun the spindles and they spin freely on both sides with the truck in neutral.

Going back out to take pics. But Im thinking maybe the drum was just too tight on the drivers side maybe. Even though I didnt have to struggle hard to get it off, it doesnt seem to want to go back on without a fight.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
garold99

DRIVERS SIDE

PASSENGER SIDE

Old 08-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
garold99

I see on the drivers side picture I am missing that spring on the crossbar that sits above the spindle and below the wheel cylinder. You can see the spring on the passenger side picture, but no spring in the drivers side picture. Also that piece should be turned the other direction, if that even matters since there is no spring there.

How important is that little spring? What purpose is it for? I have checked the truck and it is not there.

Last edited by garold99; 08-02-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
steelhorse

That spring just help keep the crossbar from rattling.Both side look to put together right.When the drums are on they should be adjusted so that you have SLIGHT drag while turning them.He may have just over adjusted the drivers side.After putting it back together keep it jacked up and in neutral and have someone hit the brakes then release it while you try to turn the wheel and make sure both sides release and dont stick.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
garold99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
That spring just help keep the crossbar from rattling.Both side look to put together right.When the drums are on they should be adjusted so that you have SLIGHT drag while turning them.He may have just over adjusted the drivers side.After putting it back together keep it jacked up and in neutral and have someone hit the brakes then release it while you try to turn the wheel and make sure both sides release and dont stick.
Thanks for the help. Thats a good idea with having someone hit the brakes to make sure they dont stick. Thanks
Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
garold99

Adjusting them seems to have worked. I loosened the drivers side and tightened the passenger side a bit. Truck will move when idling now when before it wouldnt. Doesnt feel like its trying to stop you either when you let off the gas.

Only problem with them now is it doesnt seem to stop on a dime. Never has as far as I can remember. I cant get the breaks to lock up where your tires screech unless I just really put all my 265# behind the pedal. Also the pedal seems kinda hard feeling. Not too bad though.

Ive rebuilt all 4 breaks and put a new master cylinder on. Maybe it just needs new lines? I know the one High Pressure line by the passenger wheel needs replaced. When I put shocks on it a couple years ago I ran the line the wrong way around the shock so its kinda twirled. Doesnt look like it would restrict fluid flow though. Its just old line.