The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Electric fuel pump with two tanks???

I am looking into putting an electric fuel pump to my engine from the dual tank switch on my 84 truck. Any suggestions on where is best to mount and what brand of pump would work best?

I am thinking that an in-line pump and then a fuel pressure regulator would be needed. I am feeding a carbed engine and also have the factory return line to the tanks in the truck.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
Prong

Re: Electric fuel pump with two tanks???

You can install the electric in the line that runs from the switching valve to the mechanical fuel pump line. That's how I've seen it done twice without problems. One was mounted on the outside of the frame in forward spring hanger and the other was mounted inside the frame rail about the same spot. As far as brands go, one was a Carter and the other a Holley. I'd prefer the Carter simply because it's not as noisy as the Holley was.

Last edited by Prong; 08-03-2008 at 03:03 AM. Reason: added info
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

What did you run from the pump to the engine? Did you go with new hard fuel line, tie back into the installed line, or hose? Also did you run a fuel pressure regulator and if so, did you use the factory return line for that?

Thanks for the info, so far.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
asphaltburner

Yo! piecesparts! My 6 port valve is on the way. I plan to mount my pump over the crossmember with a steel shield since the electric pump's inlet/outlets must be mounted below the lowest level of the fuel tanks, and should be mounted upright. The frame is another great spot, but the truck's inner framerail doesn't allow enough height for this pump. My pump is a Summit vane rotor type (builds and holds pressure,...and quiet), 14psi with a supplied regulator. I'll dial it down to about 5 or 6, that will give my 600 Holley plenty of pressure (I'm not gonna be racing my 3/4 ton!). My valve will mount to the underside of the bed, and I'll use hose to plumb from the tanks to the valve and to the pump, then go to the existing hard line forward. Hose to the carb with the regulator inline, and identical plumbing for the return line. I WILL carefully place my hoses, and shield any that look like they might end up in harm's way. I've used this same setup before on cars. Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 08-03-2008 at 12:44 PM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner View Post
Yo! piecesparts! My 6 port valve is on the way. I plan to mount my pump over the crossmember with a steel shield since the electric pump's inlet/outlets must be mounted below the lowest level of the fuel tanks, and should be mounted upright. The frame is another great spot, but the truck's inner framerail doesn't allow enough height for this pump. My pump is a Summit vane rotor type (builds and holds pressure,...and quiet), 14psi with a supplied regulator. I'll dial it down to about 5 or 6, that will give my 600 Holley plenty of pressure (I'm not gonna be racing my 3/4 ton!). My valve will mount to the underside of the bed, and I'll use hose to plumb from the tanks to the valve and to the pump, then go to the existing hard line forward. Hose to the carb with the regulator inline, and identical plumbing for the return line. I WILL carefully place my hoses, and shield any that look like they might end up in harm's way. I've used this same setup before on cars. Todd.
If I read you right, you are getting a GM valve set up to allow for dual tanks to be connected and routed to your fuel system. From that point you are going to put your fuel pump on the crossmember with a metal plate holding it. Did I get this right? From that poiont you will use the factory fuel oine to theengine bay and then use hose to the carb. Where do you intend on mounting the regulator?

Is this the pump you are talking about? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku