The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
jay'67

Front end swap

Hey guys!!. I'm new here to this forum and new to the resotration world. Got my hands on a '67 GMC a few years back and have decided to fix it up. My first question is the front end. I've been told that a front crossmember off a early '80's truck will bolt right on, but found out that it is about 3/4" too wide to fit the original frame. I would like to convert to disk brakes. The 6 lug pattern does not bother me at all. Now I have new info. that a front end off a 70-72 will 'bolt right on'. I have thought about just getting the conversion kits for simplicity, but I have these front ends here in my yard. Is my info. source just full of bull, or will this fit as easily as he says. Ideally I would like it to just simply bolt right on to the frame as easily as the original comes off, but...... Can you give any advice.
jay'67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
68chevy68

Re: Front end swap

I put an 84 front end on my 61 frame and only had to drill some holes, 7 I think. The width was fine.
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
jay'67

I know that you will have to relocate the idler arm, but which bolts did you have to drill? The 6 mounting the bottom of the frame to the top of the crossmember or the 8 mounting the upper A arms to the frame? Also will it keep your wheel base the same?
jay'67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!!Jay,it will bolt up.There is a ton of info on this in the FAQ's section.More than I could remember or relate here.Read up on it.I haven't done one but many here have.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-05-2008 at 11:06 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Shyguy

One my '69 frame I thought it would be best to just replace everything including the cross member with the '71 front end I had, but my son the mechanic thought it would be easier to to leave the cross member and exchange everything else.

It worked out ok the way he wanted to go without any problems other than the normal, old rusted bolts.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote