The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

48-54 front suspension-do you have mustang2-dodge dakota-torsion bar???

I'm wanting to finally put a front suspsension under my 48 1ton burb.
I have seen lots of mustang2's under 48-54 chevy trucks & panels.
Have seen a few torsion bar suspensions under some 55-59 chevy trucks & panels but never under a 48-54, has anyone done one of these, cause if you have I would love to see pics
BUT I have yet to see a dodge dakota suspension under anything, but I do know they make kits to do it.

SSSOOOOOOOOO folks my QQQQQQQ is this what do you have under your truck & how do you like it & how well does it handle............joe
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
TooMany2count

you mean to tell me out of all the people here NO ONE has done any of these swaps....come on folks give me a break....there's not one of you out there?????????joe
Old 02-10-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
CustomChevy

mustang II's are common on the 48-54, most websites will have a few photos.

as far as the dodge suspension, i have not seen any with it yet.

might check out the next car/truck show that comes your way. maybe someone will have it there. just a possibility.

CustomChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:06 PM   #4
Seon

I can tell you this, I spoke to a guy with a '53 Burb that was featured in Classic Truck magazine that has a MII front end. He told me that if he had to do it over again, he'd put a Camaro front clip. The MII is too light for the Burb and he's had to weld stiffeners to strengthen it. Being that you have a one ton, it's heavier.....

I've got a '57 Burb that I'll be mounting on a "00 GMC chassis with a Vortex engine and auto transmission.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:13 AM   #5
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

better idea... since this is already a 1 ton 'Burb, why not keep it all GM, and all 1 Ton... get a front crossmember and suspension assembly from a 73-87 1 ton 2wd, and bolt it in. i think the frame on teh 73-87 is 1" wider, so you'll just need 1/2" spacers to make it bolt up perfectly.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:05 AM   #6
TooMany2count

I have been told the late model truck suspension is too wide, &&& SEON why havent you told me this from one of the other forums we belong too, I have asked this all over the place. but Seon dont the wheel stick out any, cause I have been told that the late model truck frames (tire to tire) is about 4inches total to wide, how did you correct this......joe
Old 02-11-2003, 11:59 AM   #7
Seon

2Many, you're right that the width on later model trucks are wider. I still want to mount my Burb on this '00 GMC but will probably end up widdening the fender wells. I just can't pass up the idea of having the late model technology under the Burb.
BTW I have a '50's Burb with a stock (?) torsion bar on it. I'll take pic and post later.

I just remembered here's an email address of a guy who used a Monte Carol clip and is willing to send pictures and "how to willys36@aol.com . Drop him a line and see if he could shed some light.

Last edited by Seon; 02-11-2003 at 12:31 PM.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #8
TooMany2count

sure if you can send me some pics of you burb would be great cause I have a torion bar suspension I can use. I looked a my chevy resto packagae & found out that between the 1/2ton & the 1ton there is a 955lbs difference BUT the body of the 1ton only about 50lbs more that the 1/2ton so the wieght must be from the frame & suspension part becuase of itsSIZE & I have gotten rid of the suspension so all I left is the frame which I know is BIGGGGGG so maybe I should look at getting a 1/2ton frame & boxing it & lenghting it & then use the torsion bar suspension. As for willys36 he's tried to send me pics but I couldnt get them to open, do you think you could get them for me also, I tried to get him to cut & paste them but for whatever reason he couldnt, thanks a lot for the info....joe