The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: I hate when things blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
as stated they DO NOT USE POWER and a name brand (PETE JACKSON) will NOT FAIL like that. i talked to the PETE JACKSON customer service to find out if i had the noisey or quiet and she said they have spring cars running the same gear drive from 20+yrs ago.
like the blower its not actual metal on metal. just how the gears are cut. (blower whistel is actually AIR between the belt-thats why when ya drill holes in the belt drive pulleys they get quiet.) I LOVED MY GEAR DRIVE !!!! (drove it all the time-68 327 camaro)
That is mostly right....The blower noise is just the air getting trapped in the teeth of the belt, just like the primary drive belt on an "open belt drive" Harley Davidson.
But, the noise of a cam/crank Gear Drive is from the cut of the teeth on the metal gears. The "noisey" gears have a more "crude" cut and the "quiet" gears are more refined.

1917c20
Quote:
how can i tell if i have a gear drivin engine. sorry if i sound like a noob but i am. lol
99.9% of the time...if you don't know that it is.......it is not.
A gear drive is a "hot rod" thing that no one would ever use as typical rebuild type stuff.

This is all assuming V8 engines of course....Inline sixes all have gear driven cams. They use a "helical cut" tooth pattern and a fiber/resin cam gear. This made them much quiter then the aluminum gear that came in bigger trucks. There is no idler either, the cam just runs backward compared to the crankshaft.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote