The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
SkylineNXS

Back to school...

So its once again time to return to college aget a 4 month summer....so i pakced up all my stuff including all of my room, new tv, and all my tools and some stuff other stuff, too bad i forgot to snap a pic. I was drivin down and about 2 hrs in the engine seemed to be loosin power, it wouldnt be able to stay in overdrive goin 65...so i get to a gas station and stop, pop the hood, and its knocking like no other, the temps irregularly high, and most of the rad fluid is gone. So i check the oil first, turns out theres not even enough in it to hit the dipstick. So i go in, byuy two quarts, throw it in, and still its not hitting the dipstick, throw in another, and finally it gets to the add 1 qt line, so i proceed to add another to bring it to full. If i remember correctly, these take 5 -6 qts on an oil change, so i was runnin about 1 - 2 qts instead of 5 or 6 for god knows how long. So lesson learned here, always change ur oil at around 3000 miles, and always check the level b4 long trips...

Sry for the length, just my rant...saying farewell to summer...

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: Back to school...

personaly, id try figuring out where all that oil went lol

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
SkylineNXS

Yea that was one of the problems, no oil on the ground the whole time ive had it, no residue on the back of the truck ever...i figured maybe it was in there so long and broke down and maybe burned up, or i have a major blow by problem, but the exhaust is not smokey or anything like that. When i took off the oil fill cap the first time it was a bit smokey, so im thinkin maybe it burned, but i still find that hard to believe...goin to get oil and filter today and doin a real oil change, so we'll see what happens to that oil...ol

BRAD

Previously Owned....

.._..~...-...._...____
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

years back when my ex and i were splitting up i decided to not be nice anymore and i stopped doing the maintenance on her car. Shes so stupid she wouldnt know what to do anyway when it comes to maintenance so she drove the car about 12000 miles and the same thing happened to her no oil in the motor and the idiot lite came on and she had our son change the oil and the problem went away until she drove another six months.. this time tho she blew a hole in the side of the motor LOL anyway what im trying to say here is if you are overdue for an oil change youd have to be way overdue for it to burn out like that... Ive gone 4500 miles once before i got to doing an oil change on a motor with 140K on it and she still didnt burn any oil

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineNXS View Post
So its once again time to return to college aget a 4 month summer....so i pakced up all my stuff including all of my room, new tv, and all my tools and some stuff other stuff, too bad i forgot to snap a pic. I was drivin down and about 2 hrs in the engine seemed to be loosin power, it wouldnt be able to stay in overdrive goin 65...so i get to a gas station and stop, pop the hood, and its knocking like no other, the temps irregularly high, and most of the rad fluid is gone. So i check the oil first, turns out theres not even enough in it to hit the dipstick. So i go in, byuy two quarts, throw it in, and still its not hitting the dipstick, throw in another, and finally it gets to the add 1 qt line, so i proceed to add another to bring it to full. If i remember correctly, these take 5 -6 qts on an oil change, so i was runnin about 1 - 2 qts instead of 5 or 6 for god knows how long. So lesson learned here, always change ur oil at around 3000 miles, and always check the level b4 long trips...

Sry for the length, just my rant...saying farewell to summer...

BRAD

SO; ONE question---Did you really learn anything from this? If so, then college must be doing you some good.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
SkylineNXS

Normally i do a good job about the oil and such, just havent had much time this summer, kept puttin it off. THe problem was i bought it and then never changed the oil, so i dont know what oil was even in it all summer...thats what i definatly learned, dont trust anybody else with the well being of ur vehicle...

BRAD

Previously Owned....

.._..~...-...._...____
Old 08-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
jchav62
1962 C-10

Always pull the dipstick before a road trip... Heck, even old oil is better that no oil... Good luck in school!
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Good luck at school...