The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Blizz

What comes first...body work or drivetrain?

I know some people want to get their Blazers running at any cost even though their tubs could use some work...and some want the body squared away before the drivetrain is done. I personally want to get my floors, doors and fenders done before I start working on the engine. What say the good people of the board?

'96 2dr Tahoe 4x4 daily driver, Black Bear Performance tune, 285-75-16 Nitto Grapplers, Magnaflow muffler, K&N Air filter, Bilstein Shocks.........E-fan, DT Tri Y or Pacesetter LTs coming soon
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
raggedjim

Re: What comes first...body work or drivetrain?

If you drive it a lot I'd say get it running good. But if you have time for it to sit (and sit, and sit...) do the body work first.

Tha ones I did the engine first always seemed to get sold before I ever got the body straight. The one's I started on the body first seem to take forever...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
AJs72K5

If it's not running now, take your time and get the bodywork done. You'll end up having to pull some of the drivetrain out anyway. No sense in doing it twice.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

If your going all out do any wrenching first. If you can build a tub dolley or have a extra rolling frame layin' around that'd work too. My thought is why risk damaging nice new paint when dropping a motor in or having to cut this or hammer on that. I have a extra rolling chassis, its working great to do the body work. Just my .02...

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
I have a extra rolling chassis, its working great to do the body work. Just my .02...
You need to preach this harder Brother and maybe my roller
will find a new home sometime this fall. (Go J!, Go J!, Go J!)
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
69TowRig

For me, all the "mechanicals" are easy to work on so I have been getting my truck to "driver" status up to this point. Now I am at the crossroads of serious bodywork or serious drivertrain work.

I am choosing to wait on the drivetrain (even though my 307 is over-tired) because I want the body to be worthy of a nice drivetrain. If I do the drivertrain work it will end up rotting out the body even more before I get to fixing it all.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
If your going all out do any wrenching first. If you can build a tub dolley or have a extra rolling frame layin' around that'd work too. My thought is why risk damaging nice new paint when dropping a motor in or having to cut this or hammer on that. I have a extra rolling chassis, its working great to do the body work. Just my .02...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig View Post
For me, all the "mechanicals" are easy to work on so I have been getting my truck to "driver" status up to this point. Now I am at the crossroads of serious bodywork or serious drivertrain work.
My opinion falls somewhere inline with the two quotes above. In a perfect world I would do them simultaneously and assemble everything at once but that takes a lot of workspace and money all at once.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I always do drive train first. Expecially if I am modifying the heck out of something.

Also if the worst happens it is much easier to sell a ugly truck that runs good than a pretty truck that doesn't run.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
Blizz

Quote:
I'm not planning to go all the way with the body first. I'm talking about getting the floor sections replaced, the kick pans and rockers, then replacing both fenders and the doors and fixing any serious dents. I know it's never going to be a show truck so that's not what I'm after, I just want it looking good. Once I'm done with all of that, before paint, I'm gonna proceed with the drivetrain. The ultimate goal is to make it as reliable as possible. So I'm thinking I'll probably take this engine apart, so I know what I have, rebuild it and use it until I can get a 350 EFI vortec, like my Tahoe.

'96 2dr Tahoe 4x4 daily driver, Black Bear Performance tune, 285-75-16 Nitto Grapplers, Magnaflow muffler, K&N Air filter, Bilstein Shocks.........E-fan, DT Tri Y or Pacesetter LTs coming soon
Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
FlatBrokeRacing

Driveline, then brakes/rims&tires, Paint and body last

Make it safe to drive, then make it look good last.
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
BLUE THUNDER

Before you tear down the motor lets check the compression on the cylinders. If the are all the same, we'll look into the carb. I would'nt yank everything yet. Let's see what's what. As far as the bodywork, just do the floor and drive it for a while. Paint it in the spring. Get all the bugs out of it in the summer and fall. Later bro.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #12
haus
MMMM Ramen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBrokeRacing View Post
Driveline, then brakes/rims&tires, Paint and body last

Make it safe to drive, then make it look good last.
i agree with flatbroke. i have no problem driving something that isn't pretty as it could be, but i couldn't stand looking at a beautiful truck that i can't drive - it would just eat at me. besides, by the time i had that much effort into the body, i'd be scared to drive it for fear of rocks or parking lots.

- 1970 chevy blazer
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #13
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
I'm not planning to go all the way with the body first. I'm talking about getting the floor sections replaced, the kick pans and rockers, then replacing both fenders and the doors and fixing any serious dents.

Even what your talking about is a lot of work and many times the "might as well" disease kicks in and all the sudden it's three years since you've driven your favorite ride.

Since your asking for advise/opinion's, mine would be bite off only as much as your can handle, both monetarily and skill wise.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
I'm not planning to go all the way with the body first. I'm talking about getting the floor sections replaced, the kick pans and rockers, then replacing both fenders and the doors and fixing any serious dents.
That was my plan, 3 years ago. But, in my defense, I have made some progress... 3 more years I should be done...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203

Last edited by raggedjim; 08-19-2008 at 09:14 AM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Blizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Even what your talking about is a lot of work and many times the "might as well" disease kicks in and all the sudden it's three years since you've driven your favorite ride.
I haven't driven it up till now anyways so that's not gonna bother me all that much. I just wanna shore up the floors, doors and fenders and then get it running. I have all the parts I need for the most part and just need someone to do it and I have that lined up as well. At this point it's all about the $$.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
BLUE THUNDER

Dude, if i had your truck i'd be driving it everyday. I'm close to getting mine on the road. Even as close as i am, it still kills me that i can't drive it yet. I say charge the battery, clean the plugs and tromp on it for a while. Get her on 1604 and open it up. Floor or no floor, you're on 6" of lift and 35's. The floor doesn't affect the "cool factor" anyways. JMO though. Later Bro.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #17
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Kinda hard to put "the pedal to the metal" without it, though!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #18
BLUE THUNDER

That just means he took the governor off.