The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Lifting my 68 Suburban Help me choose which way to go

Well I think its time I get off my ass and actually start working on this thing.

Its a 68 GMC Suburban 1500 4x4 that will be used for the occasional driver mostly on weekends, going out of town, hauling toys (quads) so I will probably do some light offroading in the dunes occasionaly but I am NOT going to wheel this thing hard (I know everyone says that)

I am either going to go with custom 4" front lift springs as its a 68 and a 4" shackle flip or the b52 kit which uses stock 52" rear springs for 4" of lift in the front. and a shackle flip.

B52 PRos:
PRICE! The kit is about 250 bucks and I already have some stock rear springs I could use. The custom front springs are at least 600 dollars

Ride: I imagine the longer springs with less arch will ride better.

Better offroading

Downsides I see are its a fairly rare and clean orignal truck so resell will go down by hacking off spring perches, but than again i am hacking the rear shackles off so whats the difference?

The B52 lift is a lot more extensive but nothg I can't still do fairly easily myself.

So, has anyone used the b52 kit and think it would be good for my application?

Drivetrain is 327/4speed/rockwell t case. dana 44 open knuckle 3/4 front and 14bolt ff rear are going in at the same time.

THANKS
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Re: Lifting my 68 Suburban Help me choose which way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SWB4x4 View Post
Well I think its time I get off my ass and actually start working on this thing.

Its a 68 GMC Suburban 1500 4x4 that will be used for the occasional driver mostly on weekends, going out of town, hauling toys (quads) so I will probably do some light offroading in the dunes occasionaly but I am NOT going to wheel this thing hard (I know everyone says that)

I am either going to go with custom 4" front lift springs as its a 68 and a 4" shackle flip or the b52 kit which uses stock 52" rear springs for 4" of lift in the front. and a shackle flip.

B52 PRos:
PRICE! The kit is about 250 bucks and I already have some stock rear springs I could use. The custom front springs are at least 600 dollars

Ride: I imagine the longer springs with less arch will ride better.

Better offroading

Downsides I see are its a fairly rare and clean orignal truck so resell will go down by hacking off spring perches, but than again i am hacking the rear shackles off so whats the difference?

The B52 lift is a lot more extensive but nothg I can't still do fairly easily myself.

So, has anyone used the b52 kit and think it would be good for my application?

Drivetrain is 327/4speed/rockwell t case. dana 44 open knuckle 3/4 front and 14bolt ff rear are going in at the same time.

THANKS

I've used the BY52 kit on two separate rigs. I would do it again over ANY lift spring in a heartbeat, for the exact reasons you specify.

The K5 and my C to K30 conversion.

BTW, hang onto the old pieces and it shouldn't be an issue. You don't have to move the rear back, if you use a boomerang or dog leg shackle. Check out the pics on the K5 thread.

I also used Kert's shackle flip in the rear of the C/K conversion. Again, if you keep the old parts, you can restore it pretty easily.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Yea thats the way i am going to go, good point on the returning to stock, I'll just be a little more careful taking them off.

Yea I am getting the DIY shackle flip as well,it looks much better.

Did you order your cross over steering from them as well? Is there any point in doing high steer over just plain ole cross over steering other than clearance?
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SWB4x4 View Post
Yea thats the way i am going to go, good point on the returning to stock, I'll just be a little more careful taking them off.

Yea I am getting the DIY shackle flip as well,it looks much better.

Did you order your cross over steering from them as well? Is there any point in doing high steer over just plain ole cross over steering other than clearance?
I went with cross over steering from WFO (wfoconcepts.com) to avoid bump steer. My tie rod is still in the stock location on the tow rig and I did high steer on everything else, to avoid smacking the tie rod on the rocks. So, it depends on how you're going to wheel the Burb.

Never tried Kert's, but the principles are the same.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote