The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
energiesource

how hard is it to replace the floor?

My floor, rocker panels, kick panels, cab mounts etc are really rusted so im assuming it would be easier to buy the whole floor piece from tri-pro and do it that way instead of buying the rocker panels and all that separate and trying to fit them in. how hard is it to remove the current floor and how would i go about doing all of it? (+ install)
thanks
energiesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
B52fizzle

Re: how hard is it to replace the floor?

post some pics so these guys can let you know how much you need to do, or if you need to scrap it and find a better cab.
B52fizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The mainr thing will be keeping the cab "true" at the point of reassembly.Take lots of measurements.Measure a more solid truck,too,if possible.I`d lay it on it`s back and start cutting.Figure on some temporary bracing.One of the biggest things is keeping the measurement across the threshold.When just mounting up rockers it`s recommended to have doors installed.So,they should be mounted or a brace.
I`m sure once you tear into it you`ll get great support from these guys...you`re not alone when you have this site.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
energiesource

thanks everyone
here are the points of most of the rust.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
energiesource

Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

ive seen worse (mine), but they all rust in the same place, my rust has progressed a little more, a set of new rockers and some sheet metal, you wont have to replace the whole floor tho, ill be watching this thread i want to see how hard this will be aswell.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
energiesource

well the other reason i'd replace the floor is because its a high hump because it used to be a manual, but now its an auto and ill stick with auto, so the whole floor replacement from tripro is a low hump..i think, so that'd be better as well. just one less hole id have to fill lol
i gotta wait til i get the cab off to get it media blasted and stuff but if its not worth keeping and there is a better condition one in my area (which i doubt it) then i'll just go that route.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Ol'Rover

do you have any rust over the windseild or top of the cab, if you do...i may recomend looking onto a new cab. How much does Tri-Pro ask for a full floor panel with supports?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
energiesource

the full floor panel is like...$450 or something.
there isnt rust anywhere else but in the kick panel and the lower part. but it looks like an extensive process just to put a new floor in. plus i need to shorten my frame so it would probably be better to find a cab in decent shame and a short wheel base frame for a grand or two.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Ol'Rover

look around for a cab, you can come by SWB frames pretty cheap, i got mine for $420, good condition cabs can get expensive unfortunatly. I looked into it the day after i got the truck home, when we actually got a goodlook at what was missing from the cab. I will be probably going the same route you are, but just small replacement floor pans.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
msgross

I'm putting in a new floor from Tri-pro, old floor is coming out very easily. If you want to go low hump then you will need the firewall replacemnt as well. Might be better to find a good donor cab, I don't think the floor install will be as hard as a bunch of pathc panels, less welding for sure!

check my build thread for pics...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #12
matthufham

my truck was the same and i replaced the floors, cab corners, pillars, rockers, and kickpanels myself when i was 14 and learned how to weld. is that a definition of difficulty?
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote