The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Zappafan

Engine swap for 68 Shortbox Stepside

Hello all
I've come to the reality that my 71 c10 is never going to get restored, it's so far gone and I have very little time. I still want to drive an older GMC or Chevy because I love the way they look and the way they're built. What I'm looking at right now is a 68 shortbox stepside that is in pretty good shape, a bit of trim missing. The downside is that it has the 250 I6 in it, but it has the Muncie 4 speed. Because the good thing in the 71 is the drivetrain I thought that the 350 would be a nice transplant. From what I have read it sounds like it is a pretty common swap. A couple of questions come to mind though. The 350 is matched up to a turbo 350 right now, will I have to change flywheels to have match up to the Muncie? Does the front suspension need to be beefed up for the extra weight? The final question, at this point, does the rad need to be changed? The owner is asking $2500 for the truck, which probably seems like a lot to most but that seems to be the going price around here, Victoria, B.C.. I'm going to go have a good look at it today and will either fall in love or keep looking. There is another with the 350 in it already and a turbo 350 (Motor from an 86, not original) in maybe a bit better shape for about the same price. It's almost a full days drive there and back so I have had to go by the owners description and some pics (pictures lie sometimes) Well if it all works out, will need to sell the 90 shortbox stepside to make room, I will post some pics. Sorry for the long post but when you get the fever........
Peter
Zappafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Engine swap for 68 Shortbox Stepside

All the parts are interchangable between the 2 trucks. You can bolt the v-8 engine to the I-6 bell housing & use the I-6 flywheel & clutch. Get the engine mounts from the V-8 truck. I would also consider putting the disc brakes on the 68 also. The springs will be fine. You will want to use the v-8 radiator.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Zappafan

Re: Engine swap for 68 Shortbox Stepside

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Are there any issues with the electrical, or is it basically - starter wiring matches up, other electrics go to the same spot on the new engine. I was thinking that I should do the disc brake swap, which would give me 5 bolt up front. Is the rear end an easy swap as well? I'd like to have 5 bolt rims as I have a couple of sets of rims that I had stashed away for the 71. The other good news is that he may swap me straight across for my 90 GMC SLE which would save me the hassle of selling it to finance this project. I'll be doing lots of searching tonight.
Peter
Zappafan is offline   Reply With Quote