The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
hAetWagon
Schlongbed MEMBER (heh)#15

I need your collective opinion, guys.

I just bought a 65 C10 a few weeks ago.
It's got a 350 crate motor and 350 trans in it.

I don't like doing things twice and having to rework stuff so here are the plans followed by questions.

It's stops like a turd.
  • I'd like to swap over to discs and have read the numerous threads on how to do it.
There appx 13,000 threads all citing different methods...lol
  • The powersteering box I have doesn't seem like it'll work with the stock power assist.
  • I'm going to lower the truck, and eventually put it on bags.

I'm not going to have a shop for a few years so pulling the motor and trans is not an option. Having the truck down for more than a weekend is not an option. I'm with y'all in feeling like it ain't gettin done RIGHT. but for now it's going to have to do. I don't have much money. This truck is reaplcing a truck that had a $479 payment that I couldn't do anymore.

I don't have a welder. for now. I can get one but I'll suck at welding for awhile. IF I really needed to I could take it to a shop for a few welds...I could afford that..

all of these issues alone aren't a big deal. It's when I look at the combined effect that I se potential issues and over complications.,

So what do I do?

1.Replace the entire crossmember assembly? ( The only reason I wouldn't is because I read that it's easier to pull the trans and motor, I don't have a place to do it is all) if I can do this without yanking the motor assy I'd love to. I'd install springs and drop spindles with it out. I say this because the steering will be compatible with the 82 steering pump I've got.right?

2. do the swap utilizing the A-arms,spindles,tie rods, balljoints, technique? There seem to be a few methods. The kits are going to be out of my reach for a while at least. brand new parts are always best... but I've got to do it on the cheap. this leaves the steering pump not being compatible with the power assist so far as I can tell ( I've had a hard time finding threads on the subject.)

I've really jumped into this project head first. It's already rewired, pulled the heads to remove whatever was rattling around in #4... I wish I could strip it to the frame and do it right ..one day I might...for now it's transportation.

Thanks a lot guys...incl for the the stuff I've read and used already.

"Old truck, all new headaches."
hAetWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Joey~AP
TexasBowhunter

Re: I need your collective opinion, guys.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=263983
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
hAetWagon

I appreciate the response but I've read that thread. There are complications arising from the fact that it's got a crate motor that was never intended to be in it,and future suspension work to be done.

A response to this question's going to involve a little thought from guys that have done most or all of these things.

Last edited by hAetWagon; 08-25-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
dhughins

i'm in the same boat right now. i just bought a 64 and it needs more work than i thought. it runs great and i cant tear it completely down and start from scratch (which i know everyone will suggest)i want to drive and enjoy it some. but the brakes are shot. it has 4 wheel drums and i know nothing about drums. i wish someone could make a list of what all i need to do an at home conversion. i.e (19something spindles, disc, master cylinder, calipers, am i forgetting anything?) good luck man i'll be watching closely

when they '72 and up how far up? till 1980 or 1987 or beyond?

Last edited by dhughins; 08-25-2008 at 05:50 PM.
dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
hAetWagon

That thread he posted above will help you out if all you are concerned about is the brakes.

I've got steering and suspension stuff too.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I did this over 5 years ago so I dont remember all the details......the way to go is use ALL your stock components(a-arms, ball-joints,etc). Do NOT change the crossmember.......buy CONVERSION drop or stock spindles that match your balljoints and tie rod ends, and whatever brakes you want to run or that match (5 or 6-lug). Some will disagree and say to use the newer balljoints, but to me it doesnt make much difference and have 2 trucks, one w/ each type of set-up.

I THINK the power steering box will match.....dont remember for sure; you will need a plate to mount it on the frame....some have made them. You will have to shorten the steering shaft.

Salvage yard some calipers for the front if your really budget.......I would get them in a kit to make sure they fit. 2 sizes of rotor, 1" and 1.25"....go one way or the other....I think all aftermarket is 1.25", but I could be wrong. You may also have to re-do some brake lines.

Its a lot of work but can be done in a weekend if you hit it hard and know whats up......
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Chevy Fleetside

I think a kit is good if you don't want alot of down time. The draw back is price and that is about it. I have heard of putting the kits in in 8 hours or less even.
I personally used stuff from a 75 chevy truck and it all bolts up to the 65 cross member so you don't have to support the engine to change out the crossmember. I also used all of the steering componantes from the 75. You have to redrill for the idler arm is all. Get a Rez kit to bolt on a newer steering box. Here are some pictures. I really didn't just take it of the suspension so they are not direct. I already have new ball joints and bushings just waiting to be installed..
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
hAetWagon

That sounds about the easiest I've heard so far. So :
conversion drop spindles,
rotors
calipers.
Master cylinder and booster.
Pro valve.

I'd need a newer steering box,
Will I need a kit to bolt it up?
by makin g a plate, do you mean a mounting plate to weld to the frame?
That's cool, this all makes sense..
my question is
the stock power assist on the 65 is different than anything I've ever seen.
How do I make the steering work?
In your pic it looks like you pulled it all off and have the stuff I'm used to seeing. You mind showing me some pics of your steering setup so I can see the whole array? thanks bro,
J

Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

I mentioned in my last post that all of my steering componants are from a 75 Chevy Truck. This part will properly align your later model steering box. http://www.classicparts.com/1960-66-...ctinfo/76-979/ The one in my picture is an 86 year model box.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 08-26-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote