The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Fab5

can it be saved?

Hi, new here to the forum(love it!) My question... I was giv'in a 87 4x4 short box. Didn't know how bad it was until I took off the bed to see why it sagged to one side(drivers). Besides the rot, the frame is cracked from the bottom of the main rail all the way to the top. It measures almost an 1/8" opening from the bottom, closing about 3" up from the bottom of the frame.
The only thing holding on is about a 1/2" of the frame(what the bed sits on).
This "crack" is right behind the gas tank. The truck runs and drives great.
Can this be fixed? If so, what do need, and where do I start? Or is this just a waste? Thank you for any help.
Fab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
leftcoast66

Re: can it be saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab5 View Post
Hi, new here to the forum(love it!) My question... I was giv'in a 87 4x4 short box. Didn't know how bad it was until I took off the bed to see why it sagged to one side(drivers). Besides the rot, the frame is cracked from the bottom of the main rail all the way to the top. It measures almost an 1/8" opening from the bottom, closing about 3" up from the bottom of the frame.
The only thing holding on is about a 1/2" of the frame(what the bed sits on).
This "crack" is right behind the gas tank. The truck runs and drives great.
Can this be fixed? If so, what do need, and where do I start? Or is this just a waste? Thank you for any help.
I'd think you could by reenforcing the frame on the inside and outside with some 3/16 or so plate. Even after that, I wouldn't wanna take it off the road then and risk having it crack again even w/ the plate on it.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I would say it depends upon how much rust there really is. If the crack is in solid metal, it can be fixed pretty easily. If the whole frame rail is swiss cheese, it might be more work than it is worth.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Fab5

Thanks a lot guys. That was pretty much what I was worried about... the frame not being "good" enough, and it cracking again. Guess its time to go.
Fab5 is offline   Reply With Quote