The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
RR67gto

Chevy 250 Carb, wire questions

Greetings friends it's been a long time. I need some help on a couple of trucks I bought from my State Auction. One is a low mile 70 C10 with a long step bed and a 250 six engine. The carb is the MV, meaning for automatic choke. I had the carb rebuilt by a local builder that's real well known. Now, when I bought the truck the carb was connected to a funky manual choke set up from a parts store. So, I decided to get the missing auto choke spring, and cover so I could get rid of the junk manual choke set up. Well, nothing doing. Every single truck with a six at local wrecking yards are missing the carbs and intakes. Some, have low mile rebuilt engines, but carbs, chokes, and oh yeah the are filter base and pans are also missing. I have tried parts stores that can order parts, local yards, friends, and nothing I do can find me the auto choke set up for my 250. So, does anyone have an idea where I might find one? eBay has nothing for over three months, and none of the vendors of used parts are a help. Now, I would live with a manual choke, but trying to use the MV means useing a generic parts store system that requires drilling out things on the carb, and then the tiny wire holder that attaches to the carb although it works also wobbles around until the cheap tin bracket breaks.

I also have a couple of questions about hose routeing as well as a couple of wires but I will post those at a latter time. And yes, I have both the printed service manual, the older shop manual, as well as other books but they don't show much or say much about chokes, hoses or wires.

It was nice to com here again and I'll fill you up on my 67 Project as well at a later time. First thing I need is to get the 70 runing and sold. A real low mile 63K owned by Oregon and serviced through the state motorpool. They had no luck with an auto choke either, so installed the manual junk.

Good day friends. My best to you, and yours.

Mike in Clackamas OR 97015.

rr67gto@aol.com
RR67gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Re: Chevy 250 Carb, wire questions

Mike, I've read your post several times and all I'm getting is that you want to convert your MV back to an auto choke instead of the current manual choke? I can take pics of my original '68 Camaro MV, but the brackets for the truck are different. However, it sounds like that's not your problem but rather you can't find a reliable source of parts for the MV. I don't know what to tell you. I may have a stash of extra parts somewhere but not many. I'd just keep looking in jy's. I usually have no problems finding L6 intakes and carbs, but that was before the doubling of fuel prices. If you can post a pic of what you need, that would speak volumes but you need to be a subscriber to post WTB ads.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
longorange68

Keep an eye out for Nova guys, and maybe visit stevesnovasite.com and ask there. A lot of the Nova II's came with this setup and can still be found on the 250's as their new owners look to go with a SBC. I personally have the same setup and feel it is a bit easier to make something work with the manual choke. Requires a bit more effort from you and your right foot while warming up, but you still get to the same end result. I used a little loctite and a longer bolt with a wingnut as my idle adjustment where the fast/slow idle screw thing used to live, works great.

P.S. Try these guys: National Auto Parts, Longview, WA 360-636-3370

Josh
Longview, WA

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Mike, I've read your post several times and all I'm getting is that you want to convert your MV back to an auto choke instead of the current manual choke? I can take pics of my original '68 Camaro MV, but the brackets for the truck are different. However, it sounds like that's not your problem but rather you can't find a reliable source of parts for the MV. I don't know what to tell you. I may have a stash of extra parts somewhere but not many. I'd just keep looking in jy's. I usually have no problems finding L6 intakes and carbs, but that was before the doubling of fuel prices. If you can post a pic of what you need, that would speak volumes but you need to be a subscriber to post WTB ads.
Hi Guys...........new to this.
I have a 250 six in my 67 with a Powerglide!!!!!!!!!(Hmmmm....yeah) and it has the single rochester with manual choke. It works but it takes getting used to. I'm also located in Canada. I got parts from a supplier here. As far as going to the auto choke I was thinking of doing the same. The MV is a rochester and I'm not sure they made auto chokes for those unless you go into the late 70's or 80's ( they probably did) and use a carb from there. What about a choke thermostat? Its almost an auto choke. email me at brmcwhir@lakeheadu.ca

You must be a subscribing member to post "For Sale" or Want to Buy" ads.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 08-30-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
70inline6

Funny you should ask this today Mike. My trucks choke spring has... well... slightly sprung, so I set out on ebay to find one. Well, I found two -

Auctions:

From Noschevparts Obsolete Auto parts eBay Store. If you get one, let me know how it works. If Mine really is shot I'll be getting one of these after-market Duro ones.
70inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote