The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Loose Front Brake Pads

My appologies for double-posting, but I incorrectly posted this in the 67-72 forum earlier. I realize the responses will probably come, but I wanted it in the right area. Moderators, feel free to delete the original...

First off - it's great to be back around again. Life has been pretty busy, and I have had very little time to snoop around. But finally I am driven back by necessity - a good thing (I guess).

Problem - Loose (rattling) inner brake pad on the driver's side front wheel.

Last year I did a fairly complete front brake job replacing everything except the rotors - they still were fine at that time.

Recently, a squeak along with a rattle developed on the left side. I checked it and found the brake pads to be loose and badly unevenly worn from front to back. The rotor seemed slightly warped, so I have now replaced the rotors as well as installed new pads.

Inner pad is still loose and rattle is still there. The inner pad is riding flush with the rotor (no visible gap), but I can push on the pad "tabs" down and it slides back and forth along the face of the rotor - causing the "tabs" to rattle against the caliper body.

So what is going on here? Is the caliper loosening off too much or applying uneven pressure? The retainer clip (inside the caliper piston, holding the inner pad) was not replaced. Could this clip be too loose? Am I missing some hardware?

Below are a couple of photos showing the installation and the area where I can move the pad.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW - it's great to be "home".
Attached Images

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Re: Loose Front Brake Pads

From what I have seen and done, I would replace the clip. From your description it sounds like that clip is not holding the pad firmly against the piston and causing the uneven wear.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
From what I have seen and done, I would replace the clip. From your description it sounds like that clip is not holding the pad firmly against the piston and causing the uneven wear.
Thanks Jeff - I think I'll give that a try. Hopefully that takes care of things.

Did I mention - - I HATE rattles!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Eyegore
What Hump?

TJ is correct, replace the clip but what is the other side like, is it also loose? I know their are two different size rotors for our years of truck, could it be possible that you have the wrong size pad? Also instead of replacing the rotor I would suggest having it turned down, saving you some $$$$.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore View Post
TJ is correct, replace the clip but what is the other side like, is it also loose? I know their are two different size rotors for our years of truck, could it be possible that you have the wrong size pad? Also instead of replacing the rotor I would suggest having it turned down, saving you some $$$$.
Thanks Eyegore.

I have talked to the parts store and I will be picking up some new hardware tomorrow to see if this will solve the problem.

As for the other side (passenger), everything seems good, so I think I've got the proper parts for everything. As for machining the rotors, yes it would have been cheaper, but I figured it was time to do these as well, and at $68 ea. it wasn't too bad. So this way all the brake parts are new(ish) - all having been replaced within the last year.

Hopefully the new retainers do the job...
Old 08-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
454HO

Yes, the inner pads should be held firmly in place by the clip and some anti-squeal compound. But I would suggest you also bend the tabs down on the outer pads so the contact the caliper. This will keep them from 'floating' quite so much and making a click sounds when the brake is applied.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO View Post
Yes, the inner pads should be held firmly in place by the clip and some anti-squeal compound. But I would suggest you also bend the tabs down on the outer pads so the contact the caliper. This will keep them from 'floating' quite so much and making a click sounds when the brake is applied.
Thanks for the suggestion about the outer pad, but these are fine for now, and I'm hoping if I can resolve the inner pad issue, there should be no potential of uneven wear eventually loosening the outer pad.

Looks like I'm starting to narrow this one down.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I have see people that had trucks with the 2 different sized rotors on either side of the truck. It happened recently on my forum, so it is a possibility that someone swapped one without knowing.

If you put pressure on the pedal, does it hold the rotor. How much is it loose? Technically there should be "just enough" clearance on the pads...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
I have see people that had trucks with the 2 different sized rotors on either side of the truck. It happened recently on my forum, so it is a possibility that someone swapped one without knowing.

If you put pressure on the pedal, does it hold the rotor. How much is it loose? Technically there should be "just enough" clearance on the pads...
The pads are not loose enough to not rattle "in and out" (against the rotor) if that makes sense. The inner pad can actually "slide" up and down on the face fo the rotor causing the "tabs" or ears on the pad to rattle against the caliper body.

In other words - if I push down where my finger is in the second picture, the pad moves "up and down".
Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Zilverado
Account Suspended

So I replaced the retainer clips on the weekend, and guess what - - the crazy rattle is still there - - ARGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!...

I'm obviously chasing after the wrong thing. I've gone under the truck a few times trying to find something making that metalic rattle but have not found the suspect yet - obviously. Yesterday, driving over a bridge with the window open, the noise reflecting back at me from the concrete barrier seemed to be coming from more underneath the cab than the front end.

I can't believe this is so hard to find, but the hunt continues...
Old 09-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

I had the same issue on my '83 many years ago but never did figure it out. I look forward to learning the fix.
2006 Suburban LTZ (daily driver)
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Did put slight pressure on the brakes going over it? That would tell if it is the brakes.

If you are trouble shooting, check the flywheel? Does the sound increase with speed?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Zilverado
Account Suspended

I'm almost 100% sure that my issue is simply a metalic rattle - not engine related or rotational at all. It's intermitent of course, with the sudden impacting of the suspension over a rut in the road, etc. At first I thought it went away with braking, leading me to believe the loose brake pads were the main cause. But the pads are now tighter, and the rattle is still there - and sometimes even when braking. I'm sure I'll find it to be a loose brake line, or bracket or something, but until I find it, it'll drive me CRAZY.

This truck is certainly not "rattle-free", but this particular one is driving me CRAZY!