The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
JoeKan

Needing patch panel work for my 61

Well since bringing her home and looking over the truck closer I believe the first thing I need to do is to begin working on the rust. It has rusted out rockers and the floorboard is rusted out as well.
Do you think it would be wise to just patch in the rust holes in the floorboard or should I look to buying a new floorboard to install?
I need a video of how all of this is done because I don't know exactly what I should be doing to cut out the rust and replace it with sheetmetal and weld it in. I "think" I can do it, but I'm one of those that someone has to draw me a picture so I can have complete understanding of it before I do it.
Does anyone know of a video that is out that can show me what to do step by step?
Thanks again for the help,
Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Needing patch panel work for my 61

a couple guys have posted threads on here with detailed pics of the repair.
always cut out all the rusted metal, until you have something solid to weld to.
if it is just a small hole sheet metal will do. if it is the whole floorpan, then you should buy the prefabbed parch.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Here is a link to the complete process of my truck in pix. Hope it helps

http://picasaweb.google.com/mx5miatanut/1965ChevyPickUp
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
neto

What a great pictures of your work. Thank you very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Here is a link to the complete process of my truck in pix. Hope it helps

http://picasaweb.google.com/mx5miatanut/1965ChevyPickUp
neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
JoeKan

Thanks everyone. Great pictures Alan. Is there any place "better" than the other to buy patch panels?
I want to get as much done as I can before Winter sets in. All of have to put my 61 in is the carport I'm building.
Have a great day,
Joe
Old 09-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Alan's Classic

I got most of my stuff from Goodmark since they are local to me. Since then I have found truckandcarshop.com Overall I think they have the best deals. I had to order another cab corner for my truck since I had some troubles. It looked just like the Goodmark part. I know there aren't many manufacturers of these parts. I have heard that Triplus is good. The only part that I got that was Triplus (from Goodmark) was the core support and it looked great and fit awesome.

Good Luck
Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
JoeKan

Okay, I found out that there is no way I can afford a tig welder. A stick welder is affordable, but will this be the right welder to do the patch work?
Thanks for all the responses so far. I've got a lot of work to do on this truck, but this web site has really helped me a lot.
Joe
Old 09-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
Okay, I found out that there is no way I can afford a tig welder. A stick welder is affordable, but will this be the right welder to do the patch work?
Thanks for all the responses so far. I've got a lot of work to do on this truck, but this web site has really helped me a lot.
Joe
From what I know I would say "No" to the stick welder. Unless your going to do some work on the frame. You will be hating life using a stick welder on sheet metal. Pick up a couple pieces of scrap sheetmetal and see if you can weld them togther and let me know.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

cheaper mig welders should run in the 4-500$ range, and that is what you can use for sheet metal work.
Once you start welding up frame/thicket stuff, use a stick, ot a high$ mig.

You should be able to get a mig set up at home depot/lowes, try to get the best that they have,and that should work for all your sheetmetal needs.
BTW: mig/wirefeed... same thing
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
JoeKan

Would it be cheaper then for me to pay someone to do the welding for me, rather than me spend the $$$ to purchase a welder and accessaries?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKan View Post
Would it be cheaper then for me to pay someone to do the welding for me, rather than me spend the $$$ to purchase a welder and accessaries?
If this will be your only project, then I would pay someone else. A mig welder is so handy to have. If stuff around the house or your mower breaks for example then you have the ability to repair. Get some prices from a local body shop or a local forum member to do the work for you and then weigh your options. I don't know exactly how much work needs to be done to your truck, but I'm sure it will be cheaper to do it yourself if you have the patients. If you have never done it then get ready for a very time consuming job. A welder is not the only tool you will need of coarse. Grinders, air hammer, DA's, clamps, drill, body hammers, dollys and the list goes on.

Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
JoeKan

I have a good friend who goes to our church that is skilled in restoring vehicles. If fact, I bounce a lot of ideas off of him. I took him over to see my 61 and he thought that it has a lot of potential. He has all the equipment to do the welding. I think I'll see if he would be interested in making some extra money and have him do it. That way, it will be done professionally and I know he'll do an excellent job.