The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Thadious

New Build '47 Chev/gmc

First of all, I’d like to extend a hearty Hello! to everyone around here. As this is my first post in the forums, I’d like to say that I am grateful for the vast amount of knowledge and experience.

I’ve had the lucky opportunity to purchase not one, not two, but 3 AD trucks!

The first is a ’47 Chevy 5 window with some severe blowouts in the usual floor and back corners. The front fenders are okay and the rears are pretty much shot. It came with a pair of boxes in various shape (rot in the front of one but not in the other, stuff like that), but the glass, hood, grill and trim work are all in decent shape. Going to keep with the single pane door glass in the new project. It came with a floor shift tranny and not sure of the engine yet. (its a fair distance away atm) I'd use it, but it would require some substantial replacement panels to bring to a decent condition, but what can you expect for $250 ?

The second and third trucks are a pair of ’52-’53 GMC’s which I paid $1500 for both. One of which is a 3 window, but it has the same floor issues as the Chev, however the rest of the sheet metal is in great shape with no rust through. This truck has a full complete box with boards and tracks still in it, column shift and not sure of the engine yet.

(Sorry, no picture as of yet.)

The last truck is a 5 window GMC, with no rust through anywhere (not sure how it escaped time). No engine or box with it, but the front is complete.

I personally prefer the look of the Chevys over the GM (personal pref, sorry GMC gents) and the intention is to put the best parts together into a driveable/restorable truck for myself and complete a second with the remaining parts to put up for sale to help cover the costs of the resto.

The intention is to place the keeper on an S-10 frame with a 4X4 rear and going with a 4.3 vortec in it, power brakes and steering will be kept as well. This will become my daily driver, so fuel costs will be considered.

My question is: Having access to all the stock parts at my disposal at this point I get the impression that I can use the gm fenders with chevy inners, the chev grill, rad and supports, the chev hood and the rest being the best of the gm sheet metal (cab, box, etc.). What else should I be considering in this “adventure”?

Fabrication of parts is not an issue due to the fact I work for the Canadian military as a shipwright and have been welding/fabbing parts for 20+ years. I have my own machine shop at home with full capabilities on medium sized scale.

Cheers and sorry for the wall of text,
Ted.

Last edited by Thadious; 09-12-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
sgtusmc

Re: New Build '47 Chev/gmc

Welcome and congrats on the trucks. I have some bad news for you. "None" of the parts on the GMC will fit the Chevy. So, since I'm such a nice guy I'm willing to take them off your hands since they will probably be in your way...LOL
If your doing an S10 swap this seems to be the place to score info. There's a lot of us here doing the swap. Once again congrats on the trucks and good luck.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Kim57

Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Welcome from sunny SoCal.
We love pitures.
Tri5Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
watahyahknow

welcome from the netherlands and yes let see some pics

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote