The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
lexgunner30

Need serious help

I'm new to this site and after reading page after page of websites on google and msn, I'm guessing this site is the one where I'll get the best help.

The two pictures I attached was my Grandpa's farm truck since he bought it in '67. It has a nine foot wood floor dump bed and manual transmission. The title only said it was a 1967 GMC p/u but after doing some research, I gather it's a longhorn model because of the bed length. I took it to a restorer a year and a half ago. He said the frame was just too thin from rust to save. It's gone now regardless whether he was being honest or not.

What I need is some help to know if this style was a limited edition. I can't find any pictures or information about this truck. I have to find another one so I can fix it up. I learned to drive with it on the farm and need to find another one.
Attached Images

Last edited by Liz; 09-16-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: wtb edited
lexgunner30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Need serious help

Longhorn Man will be along shortly to answer your Qs

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!! to the best resource for 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks on the entire www.

Just a heads up.You are not allowed to post want to buy,sell or what's it worth ads on this site unless you are a supporting member.One of the mods will probably swoop in and lock your thread.No offence is meant and none should be taken but the gracious hosts of the site have to pay for bandwidth,software and other expenses so they set it up to be as easy as possible.The cost to subscribe is only $25.00 a year and will save you that quickly in info and such.The full rules are posted at the top of the page as is the link to subscribe.You can look in the parts for sale ads to see if someone has a truck or frame that fits your needs.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Not a longhorn. They were introduced in 1968 and in fleetside version only with 8 1/2 foot bed, not nine.

You had a factory one ton single rear wheel axle with pickup bed, a nine foot stepside. Production #'s were probably pretty low, the dump was aftermarket or dealer installed.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Welcome

Those with the 9 foot bed would be harder to find. It really depends what you want the truck for. Are you going to restore it and drive in the city or back to farm work? They do make a long step bed that is 8 ft long and still an odd ball but easier to find. Check out the for sale section on the board there may be what you are looking for there already. Let us know a little more and we will all be glad to help
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

As they said.

1967 1-ton 9-foot step bed, SRW.

Yours is the 3rd I have seen with all that. But the fist GMC like that I have seen. It "was" a keeper.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
lexgunner30

Would another term for it be called a fenderside? Saw one close to it in the sale section but it was the wrong year.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You don't mention whether you are looking for one exactly the same or just another 67 truck.

Here's my take: If you're trying to find one exactly like it for sentimental reasons, you are going to have to search long and hard. In my area I've only seen a couple of long bed stepsides in the last 20-30 years and they were Chevy's. Long bed stepsides just didn't have the eye appeal and saleabilty of the fleetsides and regular stepsides.

If you're just interested in buying another 67 GMC or Chevy your chances are greater that you can find one of those. Not necessarily exactly what you want but close.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
whatnow123

I'm not sure... didn't know a dump bed was an option.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094

Last edited by whatnow123; 09-16-2008 at 10:29 AM.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Everyone has pretty much covered it.
Not a longhorn, they were all fleetside trucks, and not introduced till march of 68.
If you wanted a one ton truck, with a pick up bed, this was the only way to get it.
The dump is not original.
Yes, this will be hard to replace, however, there's a few ways here to work around it.

The frame is the same as under any other one ton truck of the era. There were a few small things improved over the years, but, for the best part, the one ton frame is the same 67 - 72.
The frame is NOT the same as 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton.
The longhorn is the only exception of that rule, the 3/4 ton longhorn was put on the one ton frame.
One ton frames are taller, thicker, and longer than the 10 and 20 series.
You can locate a one ton frame fairly easy. Any flat bed, dump truck, grain truck, wrecker, or longhorn will fit the bill.
You will have to take not of the wheel base... you want a 133 inch center of hub to center of hub. A 157 inch was avalibel too, but never with a pick up bed.
You can locate the cab and fenders fairly easy. A 68 cab is gonna be pretty much the exact same thing, with the exception of a manditory big window in back, which was optional on the 67. 69 - 72 cabs will work, but a good eye will catch the small things that were chainged.
For the bed, you can run a longhorn bed, or a flat bed, untill you are able to locate the 9 foot stepside bed. This... will the the hardest part. You'll find them, but they'll be worked hard, put away wet, and rusted and beat up. They were one ton work trucks.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
lexgunner30

Thanks very much for the info, especially from Longhorn Man. I wanted the same truck back, 68gmsee, but I called the scrap yards up in Spooner and it's gone for good. It's all about sentimentality especially since we had to sell the farm and as of a month ago, it's gone and a business park is taking it's place.

I'll definitely settle for rebuilding the gmc with other parts. That's where I'm in debt to ya Longhorn. I'm still going to look for the same thing but I'm also going to start getting the parts to rebuild.

If anyone has any other information, I'll take it.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
DJH

so was that the GMC sitting between hwy 20 and hwy 11 on the west frontage rd. I work a half mile from there.

Dave
collector of 1/18 diecast cars (not NASCAR)
Franksville WI (15 mi. South of Milwaukee)
DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
lexgunner30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH View Post
so was that the GMC sitting between hwy 20 and hwy 11 on the west frontage rd. I work a half mile from there.

Dave
That would be a yes if you're talking about the farm that's no longer there since it was sold a month ago. I took the truck to Auto Restorer in Spooner and after he checked the GMC out, he said the it was too rusted out underneath and the frame was too thin to fix.

The fact it was my grandpa's and I could have at least garaged it until I knew more, I'm living with regret every day for not going back to get it. I never should have let him junk it.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
72 cheyenne pdx

Did they crush it or did they sell/send it to a junk yard? If they sent it to a junk yard, you may be able to buy at least the bed back, and any other things you may want to keep off it.

Good luck.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
lexgunner30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
Did they crush it or did they sell/send it to a junk yard? If they sent it to a junk yard, you may be able to buy at least the bed back, and any other things you may want to keep off it.

Good luck.
According to the owner of Auto Restorer, the guy who picked it up only comes twice a year and he only knows his first name. I called the owner of A.
R. yesterday again and asked him to ask the guy next time he picks up, what he did with it.

Verrry long shot.