The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
ericpost

Here I go again... 72 GMC 4x4 build up

Back in 1998 while on a Business trip I bought a 1972 GMC Jimmy in Phoenix AZ and drove it to New Hampshire where I live. The truck was a little beat up mechanically but the body had no rust and was in great shape. It came with a Corp 14 bolt rear, Dana 44 front, 4 wheel disk brakes, NP205 T-case, SM465 Tranny, Hydralic Clutch, 2 Inch lift, 33" tires on nice Aluminum rims, and a Small Block 350. I quickly tore the truck down re-did the interior, repainted it, and rebuilt the motor and suspension. Since then it has been a great truck that never has seen snow and has seen some mild off-road use. She is still in great shape but I'm starting to get that feeling again and the truck needs a make over! I really want to get back into more serious 4 wheeling (my son is 7 and loves it!) and I want to use the Jimmy to do it. My first thought is I want to lift the truck a total of 6 inches, get 37-38 inch tires, change the axle ratio to 4:56, 2" reciever hitch front and rear, winch that will mount to the reciever hitch, Spare tire carrier, Body armor, and ??

For the past few years I have been working on my car and Harley so I'm a little out of touch with the 4x4 scene.

My question is what tips do any of you have on this build and where do most of you guys source your parts?

BTW:
-- The lift will be with ORD shackle flip kit and 2" blocks in the rear and springs in the front.
? Am I going to have problems with drive angle?

I'll post pictures of the truck prior to tear down later today.
96 HD FatBoy evo with 102hp/100tq (mine!)
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!
ericpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
highwaymiles

Re: Here I go again... 72 GMC 4x4 build up

not to sure about 4by4 parts but i spend alot of time out at kennys trucks,they have a website, kennystrucks.com . he has great prices on new parts and he has 170 67 to 72 trucks out back ,plus they are great people.
highwaymiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
hdflstf

Depends on the parts you are looking for. Here's where I got my springs: www.suspensionconnection.com. They are A1 first class for customer service in my book and will remain my first choice.
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
justcuz

The 4.56 gears without an overdrive will be kinda low even with 37 or 38 in. tires. I would limit the lift to 4" and 35 or 36 in tires. Shackle flip the rear, no pinion issues there. In front, I would use 52" rear springs out of a half ton pickup or K5 Blazer. Remove the overload and move the front spring mounts to the front of the body mount. (you can find this modification on Pirate 4x4 just search 52" front springs). the Chevy rears in the front are very flexy and avoid a lot of frame stress induced by aftermarket springs. Also buy or build a steering box brace that goes from the inside of the box to the crossmember.
Keep the 4.11 gears and posi it front and rear. With the granny box and the 205 you will go pretty much anywhere you can fit the truck through.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Welcome to the board. When you have some time, go to the 69-72 K5 subforum and the 4x4 subforum and you'll get to see a few K5's with modifications you are wanting to make - lots of good information available in both subforums.

Do be aware that the rear shackle flip will center the rear tire a little forward in the wheel well. That can be corrected with a Zero Rate block that will allow you to offset the center pin. I've bought a lot of lift parts from www.offroaddesign.com.

vtblazer is currently doing a great build on a K5 for mixed trail and road use that will be good reading for you - his post is in the 69-72 K5 subforum.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote