The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
hewlett2002000

question about engine kit and heads???

Im getting ready to build my 350 for my 66 and i have a few questions. im caught between rebuild kits and need an opinion.

one comes with... $415.08

HP350KH with Hypereutectic Pistons 350 Chevy Performance kit. We have sold these components for many years. All top quality brand name components at terrific prices!

INCLUDES
# Hasting or Sealed Power Moly Rings
# Federal Mogul flattop HYPEREUTECTIC Pistons
# Clevite Rod Brgs
# Clevite Main Brgs
# Clevite Cam Brgs
# Melling or Sealed Power Hi volume Oil Pump
# Crane Energizer Camshaft and Lifter Kit
# Cloyes TRUE Roller Timing Components
# Pioneer Frost Plugs
# Felpro Gaskets

the other comes with... $561.33

HP350KHW with Hypereutectic Pistons and Scatt crank, 350 Chevy Performance kit. We have sold these components for many years. All top quality brand name components at terrific prices!

Hastings or Seal Power Moly Rings
Federal Mogul flattop Hypereutectic Pistons
Clevite Rod Brgs
Clevite Main Brgs
Clevite Cam Brgs
Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump
Crane Energizer Cam and Lifter Kit
Cloyes True Roller Timing Components
Pioneer Steel Block Plugs
Felpro Gaskets
Scat Crankshaft (New)
Scat forged I-beam rods pressed pin #35700P (extra $159.99)

eaither way im getting this cam...

#100032 1200-4200 RPM 260/260 Adv Dur, 204/204 Dur @ .50 .427/.427 Lift 110 Lobe Separation

would there be a big performance difference between these two kits? also i have a set of heads from a early 90's chevy tbi 350 that are rebuilt. i dont think these heads would work well with eaither setup. can anyone recommend a good set of heads at a reasonable price?
thanks,
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Re: question about engine kit and heads???

The only difference I see in the kits is the second one comes with a crank. There would be no performance difference between the two kits. The decideing factor between the kits, imo, would be if your engine needs to have the crank turned. Weigh the cost of the machine shop charge to turn your existing crank versus the cost of the new crank. That looks like a kit from Northern Auto Parts. If it is, I would suggest upgrading to the brass freeze plugs and see what the upgrade charge would be to get a different brand cam. It just depends on what you are looking for performance wise but, IMHO, that cam is really small.

As far as the heads, if $$ is a factor (as it always seems to be in my case), just run the heads you have for now and you can upgrade when you have the extra cash. Value wise, the GM Vortec heads are probably your best buy but, IIRC, you have to have a matching intake which drives the cost up a little.

Good luck!
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
hewlett2002000

Re: question about engine kit and heads???

well i think im gonna wait on the engine build till after i get the other parts of my truck in order. im gonna rebuild the front end, front brakes, calipers, and rotors. get gauges and get them installed in the dash. find some tires for a good price. and you wont believe this but my friend found some complete, brand new under dash ac/heater setups for $400 a piece. i cant pass that up. after i get the truck suspension , brakes, and interior together, ill just save my money for a few weeks to a month and build my engine the way i want (better heads, the rebuild kit i want, and a good intake and carb). so if if money allows ill have my truck on the road in about two months. the reason im on the ball now is ive been riding in my friends 66 and it makes me REALLY want my truck on the road.
thanks,
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote