The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
3 speed manual tranny question...

My 68 GMC with Saginaw is losing gear oil from the rear extension housing. I replaced the seal a few months back, but I noticed it's still leaking. The transmission person told me I may also have a worn mainshaft bushing. This is the one inside the housing that requires a special tool to remove and install.

Question: Can the rear housing be removed without removing the whole transmission from the truck?
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: 3 speed manual tranny question...

I guess I'm not the only one that's not very familiar with the three speed tranmissions. But, I did find out what the problem was.

I removed the drive shaft and the cap that plugs the hole in the slip yoke shaft was missing! I'm glad I noticed the leak before I burned my transmission.

I went to a local tranmission repair shop and the they just happened to have a new yoke. The owner said he's seen a lot of them lose the cap plug. Also mentioned that you can repair them with a freeze plug cap but you have to find the right size one and grind it down, etc.

Mine was pitted and had grooves on the surface so I just went ahead and bought the new one.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 3 speed manual tranny question...

It also needs a pin hole in the center of the plug so it doesn't pop the plug out when the yoke moves in and out.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote