The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Dash pad preservation

I've lucked out thus far and my original dash pad is pliable and uncracked. Any chemicals I should start using on it, or do I just continue to avoid direct sun and high interior temps?

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
lowriden58

Re: Dash pad preservation

its basically like leather seats... gotta keep them "soft" by using some sort of cleaner/leather conditioner. for the dash pad armoral (sp?) or equivelant would be good. also as you mentioned keeping it out of direct sunlight/ high temps would be a good idea.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

X2 on the Armorall.

Last edited by Sinister; 10-02-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

X3 on the Armorall or equivalent. I have a 68 GMC that was stored in a barn (yep, it's true.) Anyway, the pad was in good condition but fairly dry.

When I bought it back in early 90's, I squeezed it to see how pliable it was and made a small crack on the bottom of it. I then soaked the whole pad with Armorall and kept doing it for several days. Now, it's still in good condition and pliable.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Get a sunshade for the windsheild also.it will help keep the interior temp down and protect the dash pad.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
BarryB

NO armorall. It is silicone based. It looks good but it tends to harder up the vinyl over time , You'll have to look for a protectent that does not have silicone in it. Off the top of my head I can't think of the name of the stuff I've used. Check out Meguier's products they seem to always have good products.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!

Last edited by BarryB; 10-02-2008 at 05:15 PM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

I agree with BarryB ... NO armorall ... it works great as long as you keep it on there. When it evaporates and dries the vinyl out it actually leaves the material harder than what it was before the armorall was applied.

The one key thing is to keep the sun off of it. UV rays cause vinyl to decay faster than anything else.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
chevguy7

x3 on the no armorall. Find one that does not have silicone in it. I'm not all that familiar with Meguiars but I know they have good stuff. There is a company based in Washington that has really good stuff, its called Griot's Garage.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
leddzepp

3 for and 3 against armor all. Most any rubber preservative has silicone in it. I have personally never had a problem with armor all, and it has been around since the 60's, so longevity must count for something. You do have to apply it rather frequently however. POR 15 makes a product/protectant that is EXCELLENT (what product do they make that is not excellent?)

Last edited by leddzepp; 10-02-2008 at 05:29 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Shane
Account Suspended

I think the longevity lies more in the fact that folks like their tires to be shiny.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

I agree with the no armorall crowd.I use a product called Urad.I guess you'd call it a paste,but it contains lanoline (sp?) and it keeps leather looking great for a long time.I've got leather seats in my 91 blazer and they still look great while most others I have seen are pretty much done.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
chevguy7

I have also heard that products with petroleum distillates are bad.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Wow! I've been using Armorall for over 25 years.

Here in Texas we always have the plastic pads dry and crack on our vehicles but since I started using it, I have never had a single dash pad, steering wheel, or interior plastics crack due to heat or dryness.

The first car I used it on was an 83 Honda civic. And I've owned at least 6 or 7 vehicles since then. Before I retired, I did repair work and drove all day long. Parked in parking lots where the heat inside the car had to be at least 150 degrees or more in the summer.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it gets on the inside of the windshield.

Edit: forgot to mention. I've never garaged my vehicles and never had a carport...

Last edited by 68gmsee; 10-02-2008 at 08:40 PM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Wow! I've been using Armorall for over 25 years.

Here in Texas we always have the plastic pads dry and crack on our vehicles but since I started using it, I have never had a single dash pad, steering wheel, or interior plastics crack due to heat or dryness.

The first car I used it on was an 83 Honda civic. And I've owned at least 6 or 7 vehicles since then. Before I retired, I did repair work and drove all day long. Parked in parking lots where the heat inside the car had to be at least 150 degrees or more in the summer.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it gets on the inside of the windshield.

Edit: forgot to mention. I've never garaged my vehicles and never had a carport...
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I agree with BarryB ... NO armorall ... it works great as long as you keep it on there. When it evaporates and dries the vinyl out it actually leaves the material harder than what it was before the armorall was applied.

The one key thing is to keep the sun off of it. UV rays cause vinyl to decay faster than anything else.
I have a 12 oz bottle of protectant made by 3M called REFRESH that says it has UV inhibitors in it. I have been using it on all the dashes (only) on all my vehicles for several years. (It goes a long way.) It is sort of a cream consistency. I have a foam applicator pad that I use to keep the protectant off the windshield. It has worked great and one bottle has lasted nearly five years! (Almost empty now, though. Believe it or not, as far as dashes go, us 67-72 truck guys have it lucky. If the dash cracks, it is less than $100 to replace. I have a 79 Malibu and when I bought it the dash was all cracked up. I do not think there are any repro dashes for it. (There weren't any a few years ago). There is a company called "JUST DASHES" that will rebuild a foam core dash for around $800 (!) I lucked out and found a good dash for $50, even the right color when I went to to buy some related parts from a guy that had stripped his car to make a dirt track car. I keep the dash covered in the #M stuff and a sun shield on the windshield. Unfortunately I only have a carport for now.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
wHATANERD

also a no on the Armorall, not only will it eventually damage vinyl it smells like cat urine

Old Chevy's Never Die, They Just Rust Around The Edges

Last edited by wHATANERD; 10-03-2008 at 06:58 AM.
wHATANERD is offline   Reply With Quote