The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
dirtyd_nd

Rusted doors

Alright guys I'm about to start my door repair. The bottom of both doors need to be replaced. The problem is, so does about 5" on my outer skin. Which should be done first to keep it all square? The skin or inner portion? I've never done such a large area so hopefully it will work out. If not, I'll just buy new doors. But I really don't want to do that. Unless I won the lottery last night and just don't know it yet. Here is some older pictures of what I'm working with. They are actually a little worse now, than in the pictures. I appreciate all the help guys.
Dale
Attached Images

dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Rusted doors

well here is how I do it , thankfully my current 67 needed no rust repair in the door's but it is a very comon 67 to 72 illness

#1 get your new part's and measure the height
#2 take a grinder and grind the out door skin lip till it seperate's up to the height of the new patch and all across the bottom
#3 cut the outer skin off (LEAVE A LITTLE)
#4 cut the inner structure away to the height of the patch (AGAIN LEAVE A LITTLE)
#5 align the rest of the door on the truck with the bottom cut off (THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO MAKE SOME SWEAT LINES AND GAPS)
#6 tack the inner structure then cut and fit and tack the outer structure till it align's with the cab and fender
#7 remove the door and finish welding , a test fit or two is in order here
#8 body work and paint !

Last edited by 19673ontree; 10-02-2008 at 07:28 PM.
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Re: Rusted doors

This is a TTT more than anything,but I think I would cut along edge of the door skin only as far up as you need to to get the rotten inner section out and do the inside first.
If you don't get the answer you're looking for,I'd try this in the paint and body section.There's a ton of talented bodymen there.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
oldspowered
resto body guy

just buy new door like i did for 30 bucks!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

I just did this and the one thing I would make sure is when you replace the inner section, make sure that you have it installed at the proper angle so the door skin contour follows the proper door contour. Mine turned out about 3/16off, so I wound up forcing the lower outer door skin inward some to not stand off the rocker too far. Some of this error may have been from the repair piece not matching exactly and causing the error in alignment. I also installed the parts on the door off the truck, a definite boo-boo. I knew better, just thought I was keeping tolerences close enough.

One suggestion that I believe will save repairs in the furure is to POR-15 the entire inside of the door while its off the truck. Itsa pain, but if the stuff is a s good as it costs, it's worth it. I did the complete 3 step process in hopes it will make the doors last another 38 years. I did the inside if the front fenders with POR-15 as well. Its amazing how the inner upper part is a moisture trap and was the rustiest spot on the inside of the fender.

Frank.

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Chevy Mech View Post
One suggestion that I believe will save repairs in the furure is to POR-15 the entire inside of the door while its off the truck. Itsa pain, but if the stuff is a s good as it costs, it's worth it. I did the complete 3 step process in hopes it will make the doors last another 38 years. I did the inside if the front fenders with POR-15 as well. Its amazing how the inner upper part is a moisture trap and was the rustiest spot on the inside of the fender.

Frank.
I totally agree with this, and did the same thing. Coat the entire bottom inside of the door with POR 15....a small hole drilled in the rear will also let water run out if any gets in there due to old rotten window sweeps. A small can of POR 15 is about 8 bucks, and is MORE than enough to do the doors

Last edited by leddzepp; 10-02-2008 at 11:11 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
67mater

I'm planning to por-15, then bedliner, then paint. If you saw what I started with . . .

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote