The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Clutch questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-72 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I guess a better way to describe the problem is that when I put it in reverse I kinda have to wait for the gears to stop spinning for it to go in to gear, even though I am already at a full stop. I should also mention this is a four speed.
You might want to check the transmission type. Check the model number on the side and post it if you have trouble trying to figure out what you have.

I don't believe your problem is a non sync unit unless you have some older model 4 speed.

If you have to wait for it to stop spinning even after you are no longer moving, it could be the flywheel pilot shaft bushing, throw out bearing, pressure plate or clutch adjustments.

Take the flywheel inspection cover off and have someone step on the clutch to see if it releases the clutch disc. If you take it to a shop, they can do this for you and tell you what the problem is for probably not too much money. They can even check it with the engine running in neutral. Stepping on the clutch and releasing it to see if it disengages the disc.

This is an excerpt from the "clutch wizard" site.

Internal clutch Release Problems:

Not all release problems are caused by the release mechanism. Things can go wrong inside the clutch as well. A loose damper spring in the clutch disc, bent disc, frozen pilot bearing, collapsed release bearing, or metal shrapnel from a broken cover can cause the clutch to bind and not fully release when the pedal is depressed. The release fork might bend. The pivot ball can wear or break. There are many reasons for a clutch to hang up.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote