The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
rcbildr

84 Suburban Heater Issues

I've been doing a little work on my brother's 84 3/4 ton 2wd Burb. The heater isn't working quite right and I'm not quite sure what to take apart. The problem I have is when the control is set to defrost, air is still blowing out the vents in the dash and a little is blowing out the defroster vents. It is an AC truck and I'm pretty sure it is getting good vacuum. Where is the part I need to check? I tried searching, but didn't really find anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
eaglelox
Member Dude

Re: 84 Suburban Heater Issues

probably the cable/wire that changes the direction of the air in the heater/cooler box under the dash

well thats if its anything like mine

1978 K20 Burb, 4" lift, 33's, 350
Eaglelox@Hotmail.com

Last edited by eaglelox; 10-04-2008 at 11:55 AM.
eaglelox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
skillet

Like just stated, the cable/wire would be good to check. I changed out my heater core on my '89 suburban a few weeks ago and I discovered a door inside the HVAC box that had a broken plastic part on it. As a result, the door would not close all the way. My A/C never seemed to get as cool as you would think possible and I remember my dad theorizing one of the doors might be malfunctioning and allowing the A/C air to get 'tempered" from hot air from the heater core. Sure enough, this was exactly what had been happening for a long time. Anyway, instead of buying another piece of plastic from the dealer(bad design), I just bent some flat metal in a hat shape(the exact size of the plastic part) and attached it to the metal door. Now when the door is pushed open or closed, it's metal to metal, instead of metal to plastic. While I was in there, I noticed some of the ductwork didn't seem to line up good(leaving air to escape), so I taped several leaks with an insulation type tape when I reassembled everything. My A/C and heater work better than ever, colder, hotter and with better air flow. I should have taken a picture of the part I made and where it goes, but I have already closed it all up.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Like just stated, the cable/wire would be good to check. I changed out my heater core on my '89 suburban a few weeks ago and I discovered a door inside the HVAC box that had a broken plastic part on it. As a result, the door would not close all the way. My A/C never seemed to get as cool as you would think possible and I remember my dad theorizing one of the doors might be malfunctioning and allowing the A/C air to get 'tempered" from hot air from the heater core. Sure enough, this was exactly what had been happening for a long time. Anyway, instead of buying another piece of plastic from the dealer(bad design), I just bent some flat metal in a hat shape(the exact size of the plastic part) and attached it to the metal door. Now when the door is pushed open or closed, it's metal to metal, instead of metal to plastic. While I was in there, I noticed some of the ductwork didn't seem to line up good(leaving air to escape), so I taped several leaks with an insulation type tape when I reassembled everything. My A/C and heater work better than ever, colder, hotter and with better air flow. I should have taken a picture of the part I made and where it goes, but I have already closed it all up.
Well then I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you git yer happy arse back out there and take pics of it because.....
(Just kidding)
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
rcbildr

Thanks for all the help. A friend of mine was in the process of replacing his heater core (on an 83 Blazer) and I got to take a look at his heater when it was out of the truck. I now have a better idea of what I need to do. Thanks again.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
skillet

Smile Re: 84 Suburban Heater Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
Well then I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you git yer happy arse back out there and take pics of it because.....
(Just kidding)
Yeah, sorry about that. Speaking of arse, taking out those factory nuts and bolts that hold that HVAC box together was a pain in the arse. I got the nuts off, but couldn't get the bolts to back out, due to the factory retaining clips. There's probably an easier way, but I ended up sawing off the bolt heads(firewall side) with a diamond cut-off wheel on a dremel tool. When I put the HVAC box back together I used new nuts and bolts and through bolted the whole assembly(sans clips of any kind) to make it easier to take apart next time. One tip, I strongly recommend taking out the passenger side fender well. It will make access to the firewall side nuts much easier.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
eaglelox
Member Dude

sometimes if you catch the clip with a screwdriver you can lift it to catch the threads of the screw. i would put a small wedge or screwdriver in and go around to other side. hehehe, to late now.

1978 K20 Burb, 4" lift, 33's, 350
Eaglelox@Hotmail.com

Last edited by eaglelox; 10-07-2008 at 10:18 PM.
eaglelox is offline   Reply With Quote