The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
BLUE THUNDER

what tranny should I go with?

Well guys, I'm sure that this has been discussed at least a couple of times already but...... I'm in the middle of pulling out my Th350. After i got the new motor in and running the tranny decided to dump all its fluids on my garage floor. (BTW, I also posted this question on the drivetrain section with 0 answers so far). I figure my blazer and jimmy bro's wld have answers for me. I'm planning on some light wheeling, road trips, and possibly towing an R.V. Since I've never driven my Blazer I don't know what the rpm's are at highway speeds. I've heard at about 70mph they are pretty high. If anyone knows exactly what rpm it is please let me know. My questions are 1) is the Th350 strong enough for what i have planned? I shld mention that it has a 4" lift and 33's with 3.73 gears. My second question is what is the benefit of going with a Th400 or 700r4. How difficult are these swaps if i wanted to retain the np205? I really need some feedback to make a good decision. Thanks, Mario
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: what tranny should I go with?

The 400 would be much stronger, and the 700r4 would be much better for a daily driver. The problem with either one of them is the high cost of getting them adapted to the NP205. Realistically, I would think that you are talking about a good $1,000 to make it happen unless you just got lucky and free parts fell into your lap. Not to mention the cost of the new tranny. A TH350 can handle basically everything you have in mind.

One thing bothered me though. What type of RV are you talking about? Honestly, anything other than a small pop-up would probably be a little dangerous with a lifted K5. Their short wheel base combined with a lift makes them a little unstable IMHO.

Not trying to discourage you or anything, just wanting you to see all sides of the issue. Believe me I have gone through the same thoughts, so far I can't justify the cost when I have soooo many other places that my Blazer needs attention!!!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
BLUE THUNDER

What do i need to adapt the Th400 or the 700r4 to the np205? As far as the rv, something about 4000 lbs or less. I could probably tow it with my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
vtblazer

Fist suggestion would be to use the search function, tons of great info has already been spread throughout these pages.

Secondly...what's your 'real' budget?
This subject can get pricey fast.

A th-350 can be built to handle anything.
A th-400 is stronger in stock form but uses a lot more HP to make it turn.
A 700r is a great all around tranny with the right basic mods performed.

The 205 may be the stoutest out there but is it always the right choice?

...there's a world of option's out there for you to choose from.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
BLUE THUNDER

Is there some kind of adapter for the 700r4 to mate it to the 205? The 700r4 has an overdrive right? For those of you guys that still have the th350, how do you like 'em? Do they tow well? Do they run well for daily drivers?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER View Post
Is there some kind of adapter for the 700r4 to mate it to the 205? The 700r4 has an overdrive right? For those of you guys that still have the th350, how do you like 'em? Do they tow well? Do they run well for daily drivers?
Over drive is your friend.

Some basic tranny specs here for ya to check out:
http://www.race-track.com/news.asp?TOPIC_ID=532
Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Come on now, TH350's have been around since the begining of time. If they didn't work well they would obsolete by now. If your grand cherokee can pull it so can your blazer. The TH350 is a stronger tranny than what's in your jeep.

Yes the 700R4 is a good tranny and yes it's an overdrive but if you're looking to do this in a timely manner within a reasonable budget you need to just pull the 350 , rebuild it and go with it, you'll be happy as hell with it.

Things to consider if you do decide to in fact go with one of the other trannys (there is probably more but i'm just naming the basics)

Crossmember relocation

Shifter linkage

Downshift linkage (400 doesn't have one, not sure on the 700)

Cooler lines (not sure but they might be in different locations, sizes, etc)

Getting driveshafts shortened/lengthened (more $$$$$)

Finding a core or you can buy them already rebuilt from certain suppliers but are you ready to spend that kind of money, probably anywhere from a grand on up to 1500 or so depening on type and how much goodies are in it.

Adapting it to your xfercase. This isn't usually just a bolt in and go deal, the input shaft on your 205 will more than likely need to be swapped out. Also a $$$$$ thing, there are factory 400/205 adapters out there and they can be had for a hundred bucks or so but i've heard they are prone to cracking so you might not be buying a good one. The aftermarket does offer a adapter for the 700 (search is your friend) and I think they are close to 300 bucks.

You can see the list growing and growing. The things I listed you already have for your 350. You also told me the other night how you would like to drive your blazer soon. You've owned it for a while now and just recently got the motor running so if you go yanking out the tranny and trying to swap it out for some other kind I can only imagine how long it will be til it's moving under it's own power. Stick with the 350, you won't be disappointed.

If you pull the 350 and have it rebuilt ( you can find deals out there but it would probably cost anywhere from 400 to 700 maybe???) you'll be on the road a lot quicker than if you start doing any custom stuff to it. The 700 swap would realistically cost you 2000 or better.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
AJs72K5

Josh pretty well nailed it. If you've followed my build, you can see the to-do list is by no means short to put in the 700r4/241. Sure you can run a 205 with the 700r4, but in what you'll spend on adapters (Advance Adapters) you're better off going with a 241 with the way you're gonna drive it.

I'd really recommend getting your TH350 rebuilt. Remember, you haven't even driven this rig yet! Any 700r4 swap can be done, but will add several months at a minimum to your timeline...which in "Mario-time" equals a couple of years

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff

Last edited by AJs72K5; 10-06-2008 at 10:22 PM.
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
vtblazer

If your on a budget monetarily or time-wise, go th-350 and save big on both.

I'd bet you could find a working 'take out' tranny for a couple/few hundred bucks and be done with it.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Id rebuild the T350. Its lighter and takes less power to run and can be built strong. If you could put a Gear Vendors overdrive in as well, youd really be in the drivers seat.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
AJs72K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Id rebuild the T350. Its lighter and takes less power to run and can be built strong. If you could put a Gear Vendors overdrive in as well, youd really be in the drivers seat.
The Gear Vendors kit is interesting...but big $$$$$. It's also really too long for a 4x4. His rear shaft would be about 2 feet long and have an obscene pinion angle.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
BLUE THUNDER

Well guys, I'm gonna go with the rebuild for now. I've got a place to rebuild it with a warranty for $350.00. Not bad for rebuild kit, and torque converter, and a 1 year warranty. It wld be a bench job, so I wld do the r&i (remove and install). I used to send this guy a lot of work so I got a good deal. I do have one question, shld I get a shift kit put on when I have iv rebuilt?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

The TH350 was in Custom Campers,Suburban tow rigs,and K/20s as well as Blazers.They can take it.If I was going for o/d I`d go for the later/lighter transfer case that came it.If I wanted tough I`d stay away from o/d and use the ole 205.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Well guys, I'm gonna go with the rebuild for now. I've got a place to rebuild it with a warranty for $350.00. Not bad for rebuild kit, and torque converter, and a 1 year warranty. It wld be a bench job, so I wld do the r&i (remove and install). I used to send this guy a lot of work so I got a good deal. I do have one question, shld I get a shift kit put on when I have iv rebuilt?
I would just build it stock for your application.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would build it stock or maybe heavy duty and add a auxilary tranny cooler.Temp is usually the worst enemy of an auto.Towing will cause more heat.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
BLUE THUNDER

Thanks guys, I have decided to build it stock and see how it does. Later, Mario.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
add a auxilary tranny cooler.Temp is usually the worst enemy of an auto.Towing will cause more heat.

No brain-er.

Don't even ponder whether or not to do it.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #18
nrb's70gmc

checout this site thay sell any adapter you could possibly want or think of http://www.advanceadapters.com/
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote