The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
hollywood68

steering column help - rotation???

Trying to reassemble the steering column in the cab of the truck and ran into an issue. The "assembly" wont get tight and there is slop in the wheel when installed. It looks to me like the intermediate plastic piece is supposed to push in and twist. I cannot get this to happen, doesnt seem to want to go in far enough...am I missing something?

I have all the parts on the bench seat and I understand how the pieces go back together but It still isnt tight, then I noticed the metal tabs and the rotation.

help!!!!
hollywood68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: steering column help - rotation???

If its like my 68, then you have to install the column assembly loosely in the dash bracket. Did you install a new rag joint? If you did, then that may explain why things are a little different. I installed all new parts, rag joint included. Put everything back together the way is "was", only to experience that slop you are refering to.
Start out mounting the shaft and the column housing snugg enough to hold everything, but loose enough to slide up and down inside the support brackets.
Put all the gutts back together, turn signal switch should be all tightly screwed down. (Carefull not to pinch the ribbon cable).
Install the steering wheel as it should, with the nut fully tightened to sinch the wheel down.
From this point slide up the column assembly tightly against the base of the steering wheel, then sinch up the bracket under the dash and then test how everything works. Such as the turn signal cancel.
Once the interior is all buttoned up, then tighten up the clamp on the engine compartment firewall.
Finally, adjust the spring pressure on the bearing just below the firewall clamp.
Good luck, it took me an S load of trial and error to get mine right.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
hollywood68

thanks, that makes perfect sense. I am still confused on the plastic piece that butts up to the steering wheel though, are the metal nubs supposed to slide into it and then you rotate the plastic piece? This looks to be the only way to get everything "tight". Also, the turn signal shaft that comes out of the plastic piece is very low if the rotation I mention doesnt happen.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

sounds like you are talking about the turn signal cancel gear, and it need to fit down low enough to make contact wit the trun signal cam.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
hollywood68

The picture below shows the two parts that should fit together. The column cover is "1" and the plastic piece I am refering to in the above posts is "2". At the end of the column cover there are several metal nubs that look to locate the plastic piece. You should be able to push part "2" over the nubs and turn it clockwise, at least thats what it looks like. Can someone tell me if the rotation is something that is supposed to be done? If not then I am wasting my time and just need to put it back together.

In the picture you can see the gap between the two parts which shows exactly what I am trying to avoid.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
vectorit
What?

I can see now my confusion to your Q, since the #2 part you refer to as plastic is actually cast metal on mine.
I am thinking that you might not be in the proper key way on the metal piece sandwiched inside #2 and the turnsignal switch.
This piece of metal is a thick funny shaped part, that has a groove on one side that has a key way in it. That groove is for the #1 part to set in, and the key is to correctly clock the turnsignal switch/lever. It also serves as the anchor point for the turnsignal switch mechanism. Once you have that piece in the correct keyed position, you would then fit the turnsignal switch on top of it, then fasten it down with the three phillips head screws. Doing that will snug up the assembly, closing the gap in your picture. Once you have done that, then you would place the roller bearing over the shaft to where it would settle in the middle of the turn switch. Then the plastic turn switch cancle and horn contact.
Yes, #2 has key ways for the #1 nubs to pass through, but that part I refer to above is what sets the correct clock position of your turnsignal switch. Not #2 since once you fit #2 over the nubs through the key ways it can clock in any direction.
Looking at the gap in your picture, it could be that step that you are not completing?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
hollywood68

Thank you, I guess the piece could be metal but it feels like plastic in my hand. Ill go check and see if thats the problem, sounds like a good possibility...
Old 10-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
hollywood68

Well I got everything put back together. I loosened the turn signal switch and the metal piece went back furhter than before, closing the gap shown in the pic above. However, now there is more of a gap between the steering wheel and the metal piece...and there is still more slop than there should be.

I have to drive the truck tomorrow so it will have to do. It is better than it was but still not happy with it. I will take a pic and post the results when I have time, probably tomorrow...

thanks for the help, any other recommendations? Could the bearings be worn and loose etc?