The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
sourkraut

frame help??

I have a 67' swb pickup that the frame had rusted thru were the coil springs are mounted. I also have a bed that has rusted sills and had a "repair" of sheet metal over top of the original floor by previous owner. I supported and braced the frame before any repairs were made and took all mesurements. The more I dug the worse it got. I replaced the rusted sections and had to fab new parts to make all repairs. Once all repairs were made I checked and verified all measurements previosly taken before repairs. Everything matched and the frame is level and spot on to original measurements.

The problem is that once the bed is set on it does not line up to the cab and sags in the rear, it did not match up pefectly before repairs either. My question is, can anyone help with frame measurements. I don't know what is off, the frame from rust thru or the bed from poor repairs by previous owner. I know the bed needs work I just want to start in the right place. I don't know which is off if not both. I will post pics of what measurement I need.

I think the frame settled/sagged via frame rought and the bed was then fixed but the floor was not solid and was just "fixed" to the frames new position?

I am tying to keep an original look and did not want to back half the frame or use a rectangle stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortanetly I dont have any of the corect pics I need to show. I have my bed in place and can't take any right now. I will explain as best I can till I can psot correct pics. The first pic I posted are the measurements I need. If you have a straight edge from the rear most mounting point to the forward most mount, not the one on the slope but the camel hump or nearest to frame. The measurement I need is from the top of the straight edge to the top of the frame right above the coil spring mount or directly above the rear-end the flat portion. The back has sagged to the point that this spot is hitting the middle bed sill? Thanks again
Attached Images

Last edited by sourkraut; 10-18-2008 at 09:07 PM.
sourkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
pugs

Re: frame help??

try putting a level on the rear part frame, and then on the front bed mount perches, and see if its a real big difference, now you will have to take into account on how lever your shop floor is
Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
sourkraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
try putting a level on the rear part frame, and then on the front bed mount perches, and see if its a real big difference, now you will have to take into account on how lever your shop floor is
I did and they are both on level. From left to right I am good, it is just from front to back that I have a problem.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
pugs

how much is it off, i had a few trucks over the years that were off like you are talking about. it coul dbe from a few reasons they do this over the years
Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
sourkraut

The body lines are of by about 1", the bed lines being higher than the cab. I am not making the truck to be pefect but I can not live with something like that. It just looks BAD!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
msgross

Is it the body lines that aren't working? How are your rear cab mounts? Most cabs sink in the back after 40 years. Have you replaced the rubber for them?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
lloydk

is the front edge of the bed parallel with the cab? I believe the rise is 3 3/8 inches from front to back
lloydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
sourkraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
Is it the body lines that aren't working? How are your rear cab mounts? Most cabs sink in the back after 40 years. Have you replaced the rubber for them?
It is the body lines the right one is good and I know the left one is lower. They will need replaced and I am going to get new ones. The floor supports were replaced and I am concerned tha might be part of it too. The guy used slip ons and did not really fix the important part!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
sourkraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydk View Post
is the front edge of the bed parallel with the cab? I believe the rise is 3 3/8 inches from front to back
Yes the left to right is good it is just the body lines that are off. Thanks on the measurements I will check with what I have. I will also post a pic of the side with the bed on. I think that when the bed was bolted to the frame it held it up but once I unbolted the bed the frame sagged? The more I think about it this is the only conclusion I can come up with. The other thing that makes me come up with this the one first bed perch(lower) on the front left was bent up? There is to many veriables! I will get it I just hate to do things twice!
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
lloydk

it looks like the frame is down in the rear, if it was the cab mounts it would be tight at the top and wide at the bottom. Are both sides the same?.I would check the front bed mounts to make sure they are the same , check the front cross bar on the bed if all is good there you will have to raise the back frame rails. do you have anyway of tying the truck down to the ground if you do, you could use a jack and 4 by 4 and raise it, its probably not far off, but from the rear frame edge to middle of the frame is a great distance

Last edited by lloydk; 10-20-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #11
sourkraut

Quote:
it looks like the frame is down in the rear, if it was the cab mounts it would be tight at the top and wide at the bottom. Are both sides the same?.I would check the front bed mounts to make sure they are the same , check the front cross bar on the bed if all is good there you will have to raise the back frame rails. do you have anyway of tying the truck down to the ground if you do, you could use a jack and 4 by 4 and raise it, its probably not far off, but from the rear frame edge to middle of the frame is a great distance
Yeah, the front mounts are both 20.25" from the ground. The distance from the rear to center is a great distance and a small amount could make a large change in the back. I am actually on my third cup of coffee and then I am heading down to tackle this!

When you say you believe it is 3 3/8 you mean the distance from the top of the straight edge to the top of the frame rail over the rear? I will add pic from a frame I found on here with out the bed from the side.
Attached Images

Last edited by sourkraut; 10-20-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
msgross

Is this a steel or wood floor bed?

If it's wood then you might not have the crossills correct...

I'll get you that measurement off of my frame tonight, now that I see what's up. Not sure if it's the same as 2WD though.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
sourkraut

Quote:
Is this a steel or wood floor bed?

If it's wood then you might not have the crossills correct...

I'll get you that measurement off of my frame tonight, now that I see what's up. Not sure if it's the same as 2WD though.
It is steel, but have considered going to wood not that that wood matter. Sorry for the bad joke. I am trying to stay light hearted thru this pain in the ass! I know the sill are different. I would think that they are all the same? in reference to the 2wd or 4wd, I think they stamped tehm all the same. Might be a difference between c10s and c20s/c30s? I am going to work on it today and hopefully get it squared away???? Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
lloydk

top edge under the cab to top edge rear of frame where the front bed mount mounts( lowest part of the swope), I would level the frame on jack stands (where the bodymounts are) and then take measurements with a strait edge

Last edited by lloydk; 10-20-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I would definitely take another look at the whole structure around the cab mounts. My body man has a truck that someone put NO cab bushings in, and it sits about like that.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
msgross

did you install this one? and is it installed correctly?
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #17
sourkraut

Quote:
did you install this one? and is it installed correctly?
no, that was from the factory and I did not touch it/move it. the otherone I removed becuase it was almost rusted thru and bent up from being so rusty. the sill that mounts to those points is the only one rusted thru the others are solid. I have a guy from the site getting me some off frame he is tearing apart.

I forgot I have a laser from craftsmen that I used for some remodelling and it has help. easier than a board or other straight edge. I think I am on the right path and getting close to getting it dialed in. I will be intersted to cross check measurements and see whats what?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
cheford

I'm not trying to get you off track but have noticed that you have done quie a bit of patching in the area of the the hump where the coils mount, if you were going gung ho with the welding it could of pulled the rear portion of your frame down in which case you would have to anchore down the forward portion and jack up the rear until it's lined up. Just my thoughts or if things were rusted as bad to the under side of the bed maybe that the cross supports for the bed are cruched.
John
cheford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #19
msgross

measured mine and had 1 7/8" but remember it's a 4WD leaf spring frame which does have differences. I ran a string from the top of the front bed mount to the top of the rear frame rail...

hope that helps, if i'm in the area I can come by and look sometime...
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #20
sourkraut

Quote:
measured mine and had 1 7/8" but remember it's a 4WD leaf spring frame which does have differences. I ran a string from the top of the front bed mount to the top of the rear frame rail...

hope that helps, if i'm in the area I can come by and look sometime...
thanks, that will help me out. when I started this a.m. I was getting 2.5" and later in the afternoon I was closer to your measurements. I will be honest I don't remeber what I was getting cause I had to leave for work. I had a cpr/first aid class this evening 6-10 and it was hard to pay attention with all of these number and stuff running thru my head. I did manage to set my bed on temperally and it is looking a lot better. I will post some pics here in a second.

any time you want to stop let me know and I can give you directions.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
sourkraut

here are some pics after working on it today!! once I get a chance to get the bed off I will check my measurements with you Mike. I will be interested to see what they are to yours. I know they are within an 1/8", I just cant recall exactly what they are. thanks again, Jon
Attached Images

Last edited by sourkraut; 10-20-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #22
lloydk

3 and 3/8, is how tall the bed perch is, that looks allot better, what did you end up doing?

Last edited by lloydk; 10-21-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #23
sourkraut

Quote:
3 and 3/8, is how tall the bed perch is, that looks allot better, what did you end up doing?
I had rembered I have one of those craftsmen vertical/horizantal lazers to check pictures, trim any type of constructions stuff. Or truck stuff now! I used it to line up all of the mounting points on each side. It worked really well cause I did not have to worry about contours. I am hoping to get the bed off tonight and check my measurements one last time before final welds. Thanks